Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
565 Posts
I love putting a new Escalade emblem on a Cadillac door I just replaced and painted. The last thing I Peel off is the clear backing that keeps the letters spaced correctly, on this clear backing is a little white sticker with black letters that say 'made in china'.

The headlights I generally install that are OEM are typically made in korea.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Been riding nothing but a shaft drive since 1984. Just switched to a ride with a chain drive. Looking on-line for a chain cleaning brush, either it's made in China or they don't tell you where it's made. Anybody know of one that's made anywhere other than China?

You're going to have to get one made in China. You can find one on SUMMIT RACING or Cycle Gear. They are about $12.00 and available online. I've used the Cycle Gear one for several years and it is holding up very well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's not a question of quality. We don't want to buy from China.
Buy American
I completely understand, but that may be the only option for a brush.

A couple of other suggestions for cleaning the chain are;

Use a course rag,dip a small bit of it in oil and wipe the chain down. 30 weight will do. Do NOT use a solvent ! It will dissolve the grease in an O or X ring chain. This rag/oil method of cleaning a chain works very well.

The other option is to go to a body supply shop and get a patch of course scuff pad and coat with oil. Again, that may be made in China.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I completely understand, but that may be the only option for a brush..........
Check earlier in the thread where somebody found one made in Taiwan (which is NOT communist China.... but that started a whole 'nother bru-ha-ha).

And, by the way, I ordered the brush, and it is really slick..... I've scrubbed chains with a toothbrush in the past, and this is a whole lot better deal.

·
7,253 Posts
I stopped eating at my favorite Chinese restaurant when this Covid thing started and I don't intend to go back! Thai restaurant's are plentiful and the food is Sooooo much better and I don't think they use DOG in their cooking like the Chinese do as a base for their Bat soup.:)

Stay away from Harborjunk Freight and Chinamart and watch how many small related businesses will open, flourish and hire more red blooded American's to make our stuff like wire brushes that may cost 5 dollars and oh, by the way foreign or domestic, the brush will probably outlive all of us. $2---$5 Sooo what!:)

Sam:)

·
Nightfly
4,133 Posts
Stay away from Harborjunk Freight and Chinamart and watch how many small related businesses will open, flourish and hire more red blooded American's to make our stuff like wire brushes that may cost 5 dollars and oh, by the way foreign or domestic, the brush will probably outlive all of us. $2---$5 Sooo what!:)

[/QUOTE]

I hear all these posters complaining about everything being made in China. There are three of four Harbor Freight shops with in a ten mile radius of where I live. They all have permanent "Now Hiring" signs on the front of the store. People love these places, they are always crowded. I think the number of people who complain about the Chinese market are very few. People seem to prefer crap to quality in their tools. Twenty five years ago I worked in a speed shop, of which there are no more, and we tried to carry a few things that were a little better than low quality trash. But what did the customer want instead of a nice quality performance muffler, "give me the cheapest ya got" is all they cared about. You just couldn't up sell these people on anything. Although they would put a 950 CFM Holley carb on a stock 327 Chevy and then wonder why it didn't run very well. Glad those days are over...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Use a course rag,dip a small bit of it in oil and wipe the chain down. 30 weight will do. Do NOT use a solvent ! It will dissolve the grease in an O or X ring chain. This rag/oil method of cleaning a chain works very well.

The other option is to go to a body supply shop and get a patch of course scuff pad and coat with oil. Again, that may be made in China.
I've been using kerosene on a cloth and it works well. I was worried that it might mess with the O rings but all the sport bike manufacturers say to use it. My OE chain lasted just over 20,000.

Still, I like the idea of using oil instead and will definitely give it a try next time! (y)

Also, much like a firearm, I've come to believe that keeping it well lubed is much more important than constantly scrubbing it clean. I was getting worn out cleaning it every time I rode to my shooting range as I have to travel about a quarter mile back on dirt and gravel to get there...

·
7,253 Posts
I had read many, many years ago to never ever use a wire steel or brass brush to clean an O, Y, or X ring chain as it is possible to cut or nick the rubber rings so I use an old 'Tooth brush,' or just a dry shop rag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been riding nothing but a shaft drive since 1984. Just switched to a ride with a chain drive. Looking on-line for a chain cleaning brush, either it's made in China or they don't tell you where it's made. Anybody know of one that's made anywhere other than China?
go to or on line to harbor freight and get a brush from them they have a lot to choose from.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
go to or on line to harbor freight and get a brush from them they have a lot to choose from.
Harbor Freight doesn't carry a "chain brush"... it's a funny looking brush designed specifically for motorcycle chains. Cleans 3 sides in one pass (actually several passes), then flip it and repeat to get the 4th side - do a search for "chain brush" and you'll see what we're talking about. Even if they did have such a critter, it would be made in China, so I wouldn't buy it - if nothing else is available, a toothbrush will work.

·
American Legion Rider
20,598 Posts

·
Visionary
3,533 Posts
We will find out where it's made, it's on sale for $4.95 and at that price I couldn't resist ordering one.
I'll report back after it arrives what it says on the package.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I ordered this one.... the Amazon website says it's from Taiwan,and so did a little sticker on the plastic bag it came in. As I noted earlier, this sure beats using a toothbrush. Put it up on the center stand in neutral, and spin the tire while you hold the brush. It doesn't get much easier (unless I can talk the wife into cleaning and lubing the chain.... so far, no luck with that).

·
American Legion Rider
20,598 Posts
We will find out where it's made, it's on sale for $4.95 and at that price I couldn't resist ordering one.
I'll report back after it arrives what it says on the package.
I figured at that price it almost has to be China but let us know. There are other low wage places so it could be interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Chinese not Chinese
Cheap or expensive
Regardless I still have to go with the tooth brush. You get vertical cleaning action on that part of the inner links between the outer links with a tooth brush.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts