Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding nothing but a shaft drive since 1984. Just switched to a ride with a chain drive. Looking on-line for a chain cleaning brush, either it's made in China or they don't tell you where it's made. Anybody know of one that's made anywhere other than China?

·
Visionary
3,533 Posts
I bet most if not all are made in China. Quite possibly so was the chain your going to clean.
What's the difference with where it's made as long as it works?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,581 Posts
Some people are boycotting Chinese goods

·
Visionary
3,533 Posts
Good luck with that...it's probably possible but not going to be easy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bet most if not all are made in China. Quite possibly so was the chain your going to clean.
What's the difference with where it's made as long as it works?
No choice when the chain comes with the bike..... but when I get a new one, you can bet it won't be Chinese.

Without getting too political, most people don't seem to realize that we've been at war with China for over 20 years. It's not a shooting war - it's an economic war. And we're losing. Big corporate CEO types move their manufacturing to China to save a nickle. Then, China steals all their knowledge and starts making their own, undercutting the one produced by the US owned company. Pretty soon, we became dependent on China, because a bunch of products were no longer manufactured here. The American buying public was too blind to see it coming - back when you had a choice, they all shot themselves in the foot, buying the Chinese product because it was cheaper. Now, the chickens have come home to roost.

·
Nightfly
4,133 Posts
Are we really going to worry about where a 2 dollar brush is made? And apparently it must be motorcycle chain specific. If you think you can avoid buying Chinese you're wrong. If anyone has ever watched the TV show Shark Tank you would have noticed the one question being ask by the Shark's of those trying to push their product is "how can you produce your product more cheaply?" And the answer by all the Sharks's is the same..... Go to China. It's our own fault, we want less expensive products than we can build here with American wages so now we have to shut up and deal with what we have brought on ourselves. Those of us old enough remember when Japanese was thought of as Chinese is today, terrible products, cheap, bad quality. My, how that has changed.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Reactions: Porky

·
Nightfly
4,133 Posts
I'm so relieved. Most riders with chain drive have figured out long ago how to clean their chair without a specified brush. Perhaps you should read up on your geography, Taiwan is mostly part of China. China and Taiwan can make quality parts or cheaply made parts, it's all what you want. Basically your money ts going to China.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check your politics.... Taiwan IS NOT communist China. We have supported Taiwan against China for decades.... we have military bases there, which China would love to have us abandon.

On the chain cleaning bit.... just met a guy who had one of these brushes..... put it up on the center stand and hold the brush while you turn the tire and spray or squirt the cleaner of your choice on the chain. I've been cleaning chains since 1962, and know a thing or two about it. These things WORK.

·
Nightfly
4,133 Posts
It is the government of China but not China proper. Even someone with no knowledge of a motorcycle could figure out how to clean a chain quickly I'm sure. But you seem to need a special brush made in Taiwan. I just wonder why that is? Cleaning chains since 1962 and still rely on a brush from Taiwan as the only way to clean a chain. About that thing or two......

·
Registered
853 Posts
It is the government of China but not China proper. Even someone with no knowledge of a motorcycle could figure out how to clean a chain quickly I'm sure. But you seem to need a special brush made in Taiwan. I just wonder why that is? Cleaning chains since 1962 and still rely on a brush from Taiwan as the only way to clean a chain. About that thing or two......
C'mon, man. Dude wants to avoid supporting China and buy a brush that makes chain cleaning a bit easier. Why the hostility?

Reactions: Phantom Pilot

·
Registered
932 Posts
Unfortunately when it comes to cheap plastic consumer goods, chances are we will not find an American made version. We've lost just about all our manufacturing abilities to nations who's labor force works a hell of a lot cheaper than ours. Not to mention, most manufacturing facilities in China receive subsidized funding from the party to ensure longevity and stability, with the end game being to knock everyone else out of the game, just like they did with the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry.

Many of these manufacturers are also party owned. We gave up quality in the name of cheapness, and that's our own fault, and our own stupidity. Even today, we invite them to learn at our own universities, research facilities and high tech corporations where they steal our technology and beat us to death with it. We dont even have the necessary chemicals to manufacture 90% of our own drugs. As we found out when China threatened to stop shipping our own drugs to us when the Covid-19 started. Turns out that they have all the chemicals. Same with much of our military technology, when will we ever learn.

Back to the chain brush. A decent chain brush will clean a chain on three sides with one swipe, at least my foreign manufactured plastic machine made chain brush will. Squirt, swipe the chain, roll, squirt, swipe the chain, roll.

·
Registered
853 Posts
As we found out when China threatened to stop shipping our own drugs to us when the Covid-19 started. Turns out that they have all the chemicals. Same with much of our military technology, when will we ever learn.

Back to the chain brush. A decent chain brush will clean a chain on three sides with one swipe, at least my foreign manufactured plastic machine made chain brush will. Squirt, swipe the chain, roll, squirt, swipe the chain, roll.
We have literally manufactured our own demise. Of course, bowing down to the Leftist mob ain't helping. While I know intellectually the Repubs are pale imitations of what a Constitutional conservative should be, their complete lack of any type of push back is emotionally heartbreaking.

Keep yer powder dry and buy up a few extra Taiwanese chain brushes for when shtf! Lol...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Did a little searching and found these compilations of products still made here -

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What American made motorcycle uses a chain?
How about an Indian FTR 1200 for starters. No doubt there are foreign-made parts in there, but it's just as American as anything else out there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts