Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I would love some help with my 1979 CG125.

I recently stripped the bike pretty far down and made some changes changed the handlebar, removed the indicators, added a horn switch, changed the tailight. and guess what? Its blowing fuses now ! :-0

I have found a few not great wiring diagrams, and I am wonering whats the best way to go about troubleshooting the electrical system.

I disconnected the horn and the headlight, and it was still blowing fuses.

There seems to be a fair amount of corrosion on the + post of the battery.

Any help or proper working methods to get this sorted is appreciated. attached are two diagrams that claim to be for the CG125 K (1979) notice that the horn wiring seems diff on them?

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
corrosion on the battery is an indication of over charging. which could mean you have a parasitic draw draining the battery. what did you do with the indicator wires since you removed the lights? make sure the ends are capped off good.

most bike front indicators remain on with the headlights. make sure the power and the grounds are not touching eachother and again make sure to cap off the exposed wires

and for troubleshooting the electrical system, i found just talking a slow methodical approach is best. check all your grounds, make sure all connectors are clean, trace wires as far as you can checking for damaged insulation etc. it could be a long process but the effort could save you headaches in the future

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey dropkicknick, thanks so much for the reply.

the indicator wires are either taken out directly from the loom, or capped in the tail section.

yeah i thought the corrosion might be some kind of indicator, i will have a look

i will check to make sure that there are no leads touching the ground. i will also check the grounds. is there any way to know what might be wrong using the multimeter?

thanks again

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well sounds like a short circuit somewhere. Un hook battery and Check for continuity between battery positive cable and a good clean ground on the frame. If it beeps then you have a power wire grounding out somewhere.

You said you removed front indicator wires from loom? As in the whole loom? Or just back enough to hide them?

Best advice I can give is retrace your steps

Last 2 used bikes I've gotten, I did a complete tear down and went through every inch on wire on the harness. Looking for worn insulation and "soft" wires. Soft wires usually have corrosion seeping into the copper creating resistance issues.
Last one was a 2001 and I found multiple points of worn away insulation. 1 on 1 of the 3 large stater wires, 1 on the R/r and 1 on the fuel level sending wire.
All of which could of caused some real problems down the road.

Not saying that's what you should do but since I've started doing that, I've found that I saved myself a lot of potential headaches. As well as it helps you get to know the "real" condition of your bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts