Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, is this the right center stand of this bike? Yamaha fz1 2005. I have tried so hard to use it, without result, i saw some youtube videos, it should not feel impossible to use it, somebody helped me as well, but no result, only using a hydraulic jack. Im starting to think that that part does not belong to this bike, maybe the pulling part is shorter than requiered, making it impossible with this big and super heavy bike.

Attachments

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
It's funny, some bikes it seems easy to centerstand them, and some it's darn near impossible. The angle of that centerstand in your photo looks like it would be a pain to do. Is there a grab handle anywhere in the back you can lift on while pushing down on the centerstand?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's funny, some bikes it seems easy to centerstand them, and some it's darn near impossible. The angle of that centerstand in your photo looks like it would be a pain to do. Is there a grab handle anywhere in the back you can lift on while pushing down on the centerstand?
Yes there are, but it feels like wont do it no matter what, im a tall and strong man, and also tried with another guy, without succes, i think that part where you push is shorter than ideal, making it really hard, i put there all my weight while pushing and lifting back, but nothing... Will try to buy a hydraulic jack, a small one would be ok for this task.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If I had it, I'd want to figure it out too, but I am wondering why you'd get a jack just to make it possible to use.

Would it put the rear tire in the air? Make chain maintenance easier or something?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I had it, I'd want to figure it out too, but I am wondering why you'd get a jack just to make it possible to use.

Would it put the rear tire in the air? Make chain maintenance easier or something?
In fact I instead will get one of those rear stands, so im able to easily give maintenance as chain lubricant, remove tire, etc etc, in the past i built one with some 2x4 lumber, althought i need to check if there are holes to mount the requiered bolts, im afraid that there are not when i rapidly checked, anyways new holes can easily be made, i have drill and bits, just eaten bread.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Here's YouTube of how to operate a center stand on an FZ1.

·
Ace Tuner
3,557 Posts
Hey, I have one of those bikes.
Using the center stand on any bike is all about technique.

The rails, or grab handle looking things on the tail section are not for grabbing when putting the bike on the center stand. They will break if you use much force on them.

The center stand grab handle is an aluminum extension 'made into' the left rear footpeg mounting bracket and is located right behind the two bolts that mount the bracket to the frame.
With your Right Hand on the 'extension' and the ball of your right foot on the center stand lever .. pull up with your hand as you push the stand lever down and to the rear.
Pushing the center stand lever to the rear as much or maybe more than pushing it down is the trick...
You'll want your left hand on the left handlebar.
Note: Before you start to lift the bike onto the center stand make sure the bike is level and both legs of the stand are touching down together.
Works the same way on virtually all Japanese bikes. :grin: Anybody can do it once they get the technique down. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
Assuming you are trying to use it somewhat correctly, and so is the other person.
Check the length of the rear shock or shocks. If they are two short, it will make it more difficult to use the center stand.
I have lifted many bikes on to the center stand, that the owners said could not be done. Not saying you are doing it wrong, but maybe find someone who has experience with the task.

UK

·
So long
2,739 Posts
My PC will not load the YouTube video. Does YouTube agree with me?
I agree with you, but the YouTube shows a guy rocking onto the stand while on the bike. Then rocking it down while sitting on the bike.

The center stand on my bike took a bit to get used to. Left hand on the left handlebar grip. Right hand on the frame below my pillion seat. Ball of my right foot on the stand lever. Simultaneously stand on the stand lever, hold the left hand steady, and pull up with my right hand. The bike rocks up on the stand. Lowering from the stand I first lower the side stand. Then with my left hand on the left handlebar grip and my right hand on the frame below the pillion seat, I rock the bike forward holding it up and then slowly lower it onto the side stand.

·
Ace Tuner
3,557 Posts
I agree with you, but the YouTube shows a guy rocking onto the stand while on the bike. Then rocking it down while sitting on the bike.

The center stand on my bike took a bit to get used to. Left hand on the left handlebar grip. Right hand on the frame below my pillion seat. Ball of my right foot on the stand lever. Simultaneously stand on the stand lever, hold the left hand steady, and pull up with my right hand. The bike rocks up on the stand. Lowering from the stand I first lower the side stand. Then with my left hand on the left handlebar grip and my right hand on the frame below the pillion seat, I rock the bike forward holding it up and then slowly lower it onto the side stand.
The 2001~2005 FZ1 is kinda tall in the saddle. Never tried rocking it up on the stand while sitting on it. Come to think of it, I never tried that with any bike.
However, I usually always rock them off the stand while sitting 'em. Less chance of dropping the bike IMO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today I tried successfully the method shown in the video, what a difference hehe, you really need a stand when need to give chain maintenance, nice that I now can use it.

·
Ace Tuner
3,557 Posts
Yeah, having a center stand makes it E Z to lube and adjust the drive chain. :thumbsup:

Funny, I thought the pic of your rear tire looked a lot like my bike. (I didn't notice the same member name on your tire thread). :eek:
Same color, different year model.
You've got a huger too. (A factory accessory add on). That's a good thing, helps keep debris off the rear shock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts