Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think about how King Kong held onto Fay Wray as he ascended the Empire State building.... Tight enough not to never, ever drop her but not so tight as to damage "the merchandise..."

Well that's what the new Techgripper does. It takes BOTH hands to get your cellphone in and out of it. It ain't gonna fall out! But the sides are padded with rubber, it's not gonna crush it either.

You see it mounted on my Kawasaki Concours, on a Techmount base specifically designed for the Connie, since she doesn't have round handlebars to hang stuff of. They've also got these style mounts for Bimmers and other bikes w/o round bars.

Techmount (machined aluminum billet) farkle gear is available from a variety of vendors but I happen to prefer Powersportsus.com Lifetime warranty, just text them an image if it EVER breaks and they'll 2nd day you a replacement. Their Wizard for farkle mounting is great!

Also check out the radar/laser/jammers on their website

http://www.powersportsus.com/Radar-Detectors-Laser-Jammers-s/2236.htm

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, when you do freelance work, and have a disabled brother, sometimes there are calls you GOTTA pull over and take. In gloves it's damn near impossible to whip the phone out in time.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well I'm glad to hear you pull over!! I was scratching my head and wondering, how could one operate a cell phone on a motorcycle? I'm sure people do, but not really the smart thing to do. Now I understand.....

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Some folks also use their smart phones for GPS. If I'm riding behind Randy I will answer either phone while we are riding. If I'm on my own bike my phone is in a saddle bag and will be checked when we stop. His is on his hip and sometimes when we know there might be issues at home or with family he will look at it to determine if it is something/someone important. But we still stop to do any calling or texting.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
I have yet to see something so important that couldn't wait an hour and half or maybe a little more for someone to see or do something about on their phone. The addiction to these things amazes me. Has anyone started a 12 step program yet to rid people of the addiction? I guess people would have to want it first though and it sure looks like there is no chance of that. We'll just have to wait for someone who people think is important to die before they put a stop to this stuff. Think about. What would happen if Obama got killed by a texter? Okay, stop cheering. But I guarantee they would require all phones disabled over a certain speed immediately.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's how I roll. Do you like getting voicemail, and playing phone tag? Neither do my clients. My responsiveness TO THEM is what ALLOWS me to go ride bikes in the middle of the day. And I'll take my developmentally disabled brother's calls 24x7. The on time I didn't someone had run into him and he didn't know what to do.

As for Obama, how about leaving politics, even snide remarks about POTUS out of a MOTORCYCLE forum and I'll leave out mention of clear violations of the Geneva Conventions by the previous POTUS.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Avoiding politics is like trying to avoid oxygen. It's there whether you like it or not. Get over it. You'll have a better life.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I see the value of having a way to call for help if need be.

I take the wife's cellphone (the old fashioned type) in my pocket, and it's "off" unless I need it.

All the add-ons that I've seen on bikes lately, take something away from what the "ride" is supposed to be.

FREEDOM!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It took me nearly causing an accident to realize cell phones and driving do not mix. I can see certain instances of taking a phone call but most things can wait. We've become too dependant on cell phones/computers, it would be like the zombie apocolypse if suddenly all cell towers went down....They are nice to have incase of a break down, because there are no more pay phones around anymore....

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's great if that device provides an effective mount for your phone, but it doesn't do anything to protect the phone from dust/moisture/vibration/exposure.

I do use mine for GPS navigation, but instead of mounting the phone onto the bike, I "connect" it to my bluetooth headset & leave the phone safely in an inside pocket. From there it "talks turns" into my headset. Nice & safe & effective :)

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
I too use mine for navigation but that is it. Phone calls go unanswered. Getting turn by turn instruction is just part of your active driving process. It is what you are doing. Getting a phone call is not part of you driving/riding and requires you to think about something else totally different. My bike does not have auto-pilot so anything that takes away from piloting the bike is a negative. I want 100% focus on riding/driving. So I say disabling incoming calls should be mandatory. I understand there are some that might need/want that immediate response but what the heck is wrong with pulling over and return the call? Texting should flat out be banned in a moving vehicle. Pull over. Are you really THAT important?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I mount my iphone with a gadget I picked up from the BMW store. I use it for navigation. However, My visual alert will let me know who calls. I scan it at lights or stops. Then decide if I will pull over and return the calls. The case comes off but the post is secured with screws and bolts..I've had it on for over a year with no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts