Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my friends, here are the contenders after about 15 changes of heart, and many, many hours building, deleting, and re-building the "Favorites" list on CL for the perfect first (not last) bike:

---------
CCW Tha Misfit 250 ($1500)

Honda Rebel 250 ($1500)

Hyosung GV250 ($800)
---------

As far as style points - the CCW Misfit is a real looker IMO. I really like this bike, but have not heard anything about it up until today. I have been watching and reading reviews right and left, but figure I would ask all of you knowledgable folks your opinions first before throwing my money at a random stranger. I know the suspension is a little rough, and the fabrication of the frame is not the tightest, but have not heard much in the terms of maintenance, issues, ext. Anyone have any personal experience? Friends or friends of friends that love em or hate em?

I also have not heard a ton about the Hyosung GV250 but I feel like it is a bit bigger of a company? There are at least a few of them on the CL pages. Thoughts as a first bike?

The Rebel I know is a tried and true 250, but I also feel like it is a little generic (sorry if I am offending anyone). I think I would prefer to have something a little different, but with that being said - if it truly is the "best" 250, then, it should be something I take more seriously. If its the best, its the best.

So my friends - which would you choose, and why? Or, screw em all and have a different bike you would choose thats not on my list? (Or notables list?)

Let me know your thoughts!
Ders

Notable contenders:
---------
CB250 Nighthawk - Just not in my area. Been waiting and waiting

TU250 - Love this bike, just outside of my price range

Vulcan 500 LTD - Felt a little big. Not really my style?

GZ250 - Only one on CL is a bit outside of my price range

GS500 - not really my style

Buell Blast - Not really my style/negative reviews

Ninja 250 - Not my style
---------

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Bike

When I went to the bike show a few year ago, the Hyosung 650 fit me real nice. But I was not prepared to take a chance on an unknown quantity. I got an SV650 Suzuki, which is very similar in style.

I feel the same way today. Honda is a known quantity. They generally last a long time. They will be making a new 250 trials bike in two versions. That would interest me. I will not divulge how I know.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Crusty. Unfortunately anything "New" is probably going to be out of my price range. I would really like to stay under 2000 - otherwise I would be picking up a TU250 haha. I do really like Honda though - it is a huge selling point for the Rebel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also!!!!! Freaking Nighthawk 450 just popped up...Been waiting for that for 3 weeks now.

So - that is also a contender!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are you looking at the gs500 "E" model or the "F" model? The "F" model has a fairing on the front but the "E" model does not. You may like the "E". I may be talking to the air at this point but the gs500 is a pretty nice bike. My wife rides one of the "F" models, no, Its not a girl bike:biggrin: I rode it back home 250 miles from where we got it and it was a lot more comfortable than I expected. It would be great for a first bike and it would even make a good last bike if it fits your needs. It will do 75 mph all day long without screaming the whole way , has a nice size fuel tank (a little over 4 gal.) and I have found many of them on CL for 1,500.00 to 2,000.00 bucks! Good luck in your search:)

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_gs_500_e_2001.php

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The easiest to get parts for, of the original three you mentioned, will be the Honda.

One thing you can always do when considering a bike that isn't all that common, or even if it is, is to imagine yourself trying to find maintenance parts for a 5-7 year old model. (Or however old a bike you're considering.) Pick a few common parts you might need, such as a carburetor gasket kit, brake pads, air and oil filters, and things like that, then spend a half hour or so trying to actually locate those parts to check their availability and price.

If you have to wait 2 weeks, for example, to get a Chinese oil filter mailed to you for that Misfit every time you change the oil that might influence your decision.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Parts

To follow up on what Angel said.
I have spare engines and other bits for both of my older Yamahas.
Got them cheap at the bike wreckers. They built lots of the models I have, so the wreckers have lots of pieces.
Often the bikes have not been crashed. An enterprising young fellow / custom builder / hot rod tuner, took it apart and never got it back together.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Storm - Not a hugeeee fan of the E. I will take a look again, but i think the tank and framing is a little to sporty for me.

And Angel - Luckily CCW does have an online shop with all the parts availible for their CCW bikes. There is also supposed to be a motorcycle shop opening up that will cary their bikes in stock - so - that should be a good resource?

Also - naturally - the CB450NH took 14 hours to sell. I contacted the buyer within 30 minutes of the original post and he already had someone on the way to look at it.

The buyer did not buy it that night and wanted to see it in natural light. - I asked if I could swing by but it was to late and the seller wanted to go to sleep. I made arrangements to meet him in the morning.

Other buyer came by at 8am and took her.

b*s*a*d.

·
Registered
631 Posts
As a TU250x owner, that would make an excellent choice if you get lucky. You might want to post over on the TU250x Riders forum that you're looking for one. Mostly they're above your budget, but you do see one occasionally selling for $2k, if you're willing to spend the extra. Now that Spring is getting closer, I'd bet more for sale signs will be going up. As great as the TUX is, it's still a 250 and people will want to upgrade.

Between those three, I'd say the Honda. As others have noted, it's a known quantity.

Another bike to consider might be the Suzuki S40. It's kind of like the Vulcan, but 100 pounds lighter, which will be advantageous for a new rider, and they've been making them for almost 30 years mostly unchanged.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input Calculon. I did a quick search on Cycle Trader and actually found a 2009 TU250x from a RideNow in Arizona for 2000. I called the Local ride now and am getting an estimate of how much it would be with delivery and all that jazz. The S40 got quite a few hits back but quite a bit out of my price range.

I do not want to be a "motivated buyer" but after nearly 4 months of research and watching CL and this and that, I am just ready to go ride a bike.

Maybe I will just go pick up the nearest rebel and be done with it haha.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
How tall are you? Consider the Vstar 250 as well?

I know the CCW in that video isn't "Tha Misfit" you're looking at, but the review does give some insight into CCW as well as what you should be looking for when bike shopping. Never mind the bike that "looks cool" if it isn't comfortable you'll get sick of it in no time

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
And Angel - Luckily CCW does have an online shop with all the parts availible for their CCW bikes. There is also supposed to be a motorcycle shop opening up that will cary their bikes in stock - so - that should be a good resource?
A shop that's supposed to open can't help you. :)

The reason I suggested actually trying to locate parts for any bike you're considering is because I've seen people make assumptions before and then get in a bind waiting or looking for stuff. For example, I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but I did take a look at CCW's website and I saw carburetor jets, complete carburetors, and complete brake upgrades, but I didn't see brake pads, oil filters, or carburetor gasket sets. The simple day to day things that you don't want to have to hunt for just to do routine maintenance or keep the bike on the road.

Maybe they do have all that kind of stuff available, but if it were me I'd make sure they do before I bought one of their bikes.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I also vote for the Honda. I and others I know have all played the waiting game for parts for the chinese built models. They (chinese) have a reputation for looser tolerances in there millings and poor quality electrical components. Another thing to consider is the re-sale value. The Honda will be worth most of what you pay for it when you're ready to move on. The Chinese models won't. Just my $.02

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I would never buy that CCW until it had a proven track record of dependability and a strong, well developed supply chain. Quite frankly, it hasn't been long enough to tell how good they really are. Same goes for the Hyosung. I would have more confidence buying the Hyosung, because from what l gather they have strong ties to Suzuki, but l still wouldn't go there. I guess l just am not ready for that level of risk with my dough. I also wouldn't buy a Kymco or any other unproven brand.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also if this is just going to be your first bike...reselling whatever bike you get should be taken into account. The person who is going to buy it is going to ask the same questions you are asking. A Honda will sell faster and easier then the CCW or the Hyosung. By the way...who is Storm?:biggrin:

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Is there anyone who bought a Chinese bike and was glad they did 6 months later? I haven't heard of anyone happy yet, but I have heard a lot of regrets.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
China

Is there anyone who bought a Chinese bike and was glad they did 6 months later? I haven't heard of anyone happy yet, but I have heard a lot of regrets.
So much stuff comes from China. So much of it junk. Thermostats and electric switches and motors, seem to fail often.
I do have a cheap 1000 watt generator that actually runs. Amazing.
But I have far too much crap.
Parts like the master cylinder for my XS11, made in Taiwan seem to be okay.
The electric scooters are a bit worse than junk. I gave away a bunch of pieces to help another guy get one running for his wife.

They copied the CT90 engine after it had gone up to 110 cc. There is one of these on the Island. We have lots of scooters here, but the wise are riding Japanese or Italian brands.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Good point. Additionally, the main justification for buying them is always because they are so inexpensive, so people think they are getting just as much bike for half the money. It turns out, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
631 Posts
So much of it junk. Thermostats and electric switches and motors, seem to fail often.
Is that because they're from China or because the people who design them, who are probably not from China, build them with cost in mind? The society we live in now just seems to want to have more stuff, which necessitates lower prices.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts