Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 CBR600F4i with 54,300 miles on it. Mostly stock, I think the only aftermarket bits wold be a mild slip on pipe and power commander the previous owner installed, and the APE manual cam chain tensioner I installed.

The bike starts fine, and runs fine when it's cold (when the ECU raises the idle). And it runs fine when it's fully warm. But in between (approximately 105 degrees to 168 degrees) the idle drops steadily over a period of 2-10 seconds (the warmer it is, the longer it takes) before it dies. If I continually give it a little bit of throttle to keep the rpms up I have no problem, and again, once it's warm I have no problems.

Within the last month I have replaced the battery, spark plugs, and the fuel pressure regulator, and cleaned/re-oiled the K&N air filter.

Over the last few years I replaced the inner and outer clutch baskets, speed sensor, cam chain sensor (several times, until going to the manual APE) , water pump, other than that it's been a very reliable bike. I wouldn't go so far as to say I baby it, but I certainly don't stunt it; it's my daily driver. (I have dual sports for participating in shenanigans. haha)

I am overdue for a valve adjustment, but I'm hoping to procrastinate doing that until this winter. It's also possible that my throttle bodies are out of sync, they've been removed a couple of times to get to stuff (like the cam chain tensioner), I'll do that this winter as well.

Do you think that either of the two items listed above could cause the idling issue, without any problems when the bike is fully cold or hot? Or could it be something else? With almost 55,000 miles I don't know how much longer the ole' girl will be around...but we've been through a lot together! (Plus I'm in the process of buying a house, so no more buying motorcycles for a few months at least. haha)

Sorry to be long-winded; if you're still reading this, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Patrick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't appear to be showing any error codes as per the display, but I haven't hooked a code reader up to it. What sort of code reader would I use to pull the codes?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts