Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm supposed to give the whole story... here goes.

Around March of 2014 going on a long distance trip the bike slightly lost power, and when I pulled over started making a ticking sound as heard in the beginning of the video. After much worrying (and stranded in the middle of nowhere) I found that there was no performance hit, at 7K rpm it went at the same speed as before in all the gears... but with the ticking sound. I took the head of the engine off when I got home and check the valve clearance, everything is fine. Put it back together and ignored the problem like a broke college student.

And yes I admit to my stupidity, when I put the gasket of the head back on part of it was not put on correctly and leaked a tiny bit of oil that would burn on the exhaust. I ignored this until October 2014, when I took off the head again and found part of the gasket was not sat right. Fixed that, no more leaks, still had tick, and bike ran the same.

2 weeks later, my bike was sitting in the driveway when it fell on the right side. Partly due to my bad parking with the inclined driveway. The next morning when I started the bike instead of the 1.5-2k RPM idle (before it settles down to 1.5k) it began at 3k RPM and veerrrryyy slowly settled down to the 1.5k. I thought the weather just started getting very cold.

One day later, the bike suddenly starts losing power. Instead of the normally smooth throttle response, the RPM gauge would flick back and forth as if its choking on fuel. The fuel light was blinking so filled up on gas, but the problem persisted. I had to wring the throttle to get the RPM high enough to keep up speed, but even then it is falling up and down. When tried starting it again it would be at the normal 2k RPM, but if I gave a slight throttle the RPM gauge will go back down to 3k then slowly settle to the 1.5k instead of falling at the same speed as 5-3k.

When I got the bike home, I replaced the lifter assembly to the cam chain tensioner. The old lifter was maybe 1-2 mm shorter than the new one. Alas the ticking sound did not go away, so the tensioner probably has to be changed. I recorded the video and you can see that the 3k stuck problem is gone, but the loss of power is still present. The bike is much lower pitched in sound as well. Air leak? The cam chain tensioner? Or even something like changing the oil?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took a video of the sound and me taking it for a short ride, as well as a comparison of the lifter assemblies but I can't post them yet. How do I PM a mod for permission?

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
A mod won't give you permission but if you PM Dodsfall and ask him politely to add a file you send him, to add your post he might do it. But remember he is busy so don't panic if no immediate response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts