Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I will be buying my first bike this summer and I was wondering, should I go with a vfr800 (vtec) or a cbr600 (or really any 600cc) for my first bike?
the reason I don't want to buy a 300 is that I can get either of those options for less money, and I don't have money to upgrade later unless I work my ass off. also I'm 18, I don't do any reckless things because I don't think they are that much fun, id much rather hit the twisties and enjoy them considering i live very close to some awesome roads

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, if you have that much self control then you are more mature than me... and I'm 50! I can tell you that I went from a 300 (rode it for a year) to a 600 F4i this past spring and, initially, didn't think it was such a big transition. What I didn't realize is that a 600 is very much like a Porsche from the '80's, i.e. almost seems under powered until you hit the power band and then you better be holding on and leaned way forward because it is like a rocket. I just went to the courthouse this AM to pay my first speeding ticket (74 in a 55) and it's a good thing for me the cop hadn't been there when I went by the first time... :devil:

I think you are selling the 300 (and now 400) class short. I never needed more power with my 300 and it was faster than 90% of the cars on the road. It allowed me to work on basic skills without worrying about getting way over my head. Now with the Ninja 400 out, I'd say that something in that class will serve you much better than trying to learn on either machine you mentioned.

Regardless of what you ultimately decide, this site is an invaluable source of info, opinion, and advice! Welcome!
Damn you sound like my dad haha. I understand what you mean. my friend is selling his honda cbr500r (50 hp, loads of torque) and I will be adding it to the list of consideration. but thanks for the advice. I have until summer to learn and research and of course, take the MSF course.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.