Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I will be buying my first bike this summer and I was wondering, should I go with a vfr800 (vtec) or a cbr600 (or really any 600cc) for my first bike?
the reason I don't want to buy a 300 is that I can get either of those options for less money, and I don't have money to upgrade later unless I work my ass off. also I'm 18, I don't do any reckless things because I don't think they are that much fun, id much rather hit the twisties and enjoy them considering i live very close to some awesome roads

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
also I'm 18, I don't do any reckless things because I don't think they are that much fun, id much rather hit the twisties and enjoy them considering i live very close to some awesome roads
Man, if you have that much self control then you are more mature than me... and I'm 50! I can tell you that I went from a 300 (rode it for a year) to a 600 F4i this past spring and, initially, didn't think it was such a big transition. What I didn't realize is that a 600 is very much like a Porsche from the '80's, i.e. almost seems under powered until you hit the power band and then you better be holding on and leaned way forward because it is like a rocket. I just went to the courthouse this AM to pay my first speeding ticket (74 in a 55) and it's a good thing for me the cop hadn't been there when I went by the first time... :devil:

I think you are selling the 300 (and now 400) class short. I never needed more power with my 300 and it was faster than 90% of the cars on the road. It allowed me to work on basic skills without worrying about getting way over my head. Now with the Ninja 400 out, I'd say that something in that class will serve you much better than trying to learn on either machine you mentioned.

Regardless of what you ultimately decide, this site is an invaluable source of info, opinion, and advice! Welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, if you have that much self control then you are more mature than me... and I'm 50! I can tell you that I went from a 300 (rode it for a year) to a 600 F4i this past spring and, initially, didn't think it was such a big transition. What I didn't realize is that a 600 is very much like a Porsche from the '80's, i.e. almost seems under powered until you hit the power band and then you better be holding on and leaned way forward because it is like a rocket. I just went to the courthouse this AM to pay my first speeding ticket (74 in a 55) and it's a good thing for me the cop hadn't been there when I went by the first time... :devil:

I think you are selling the 300 (and now 400) class short. I never needed more power with my 300 and it was faster than 90% of the cars on the road. It allowed me to work on basic skills without worrying about getting way over my head. Now with the Ninja 400 out, I'd say that something in that class will serve you much better than trying to learn on either machine you mentioned.

Regardless of what you ultimately decide, this site is an invaluable source of info, opinion, and advice! Welcome!
Damn you sound like my dad haha. I understand what you mean. my friend is selling his honda cbr500r (50 hp, loads of torque) and I will be adding it to the list of consideration. but thanks for the advice. I have until summer to learn and research and of course, take the MSF course.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Damn you sound like my dad haha. I understand what you mean. my friend is selling his honda cbr500r (50 hp, loads of torque) and I will be adding it to the list of consideration. but thanks for the advice. I have until summer to learn and research and of course, take the MSF course.
Yep! Get thee wisdom, my son! Seriously though, I still have a need for speed and I'm glad in some respects that I waited this long. If I had started at your age, I doubt I'd be around right now. A bike in the 3-500 range allows you a much wider cushion for error. A 600 or up, not so much. Sounds like you have a legit plan and as long as you are able to stay reasonable on the throttle, react quickly, and stay situationally aware, you should do well.

Look forward to hearing about your progress!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Before I got my first bike this past October, I spent time traveling to all the different dealers around me and just sitting on the bikes. I thought I wanted a Shadow 750, then I almost bought a new leftover Stateline 1300, but realized I didn't like the forward control feel. Next I tried a CBR600 and it just didn't feel right to me. I ended up buy a new leftover 2016 CB500F, as soon as I sat on it, I knew it was the one. So, I'd recommend checking out all the different bikes and seeing what clicks. For sports bike 600cc and smaller and cruiser nothing bigger than a 800 is probably a good starting point. Just my $.02!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
Essa, please pre-plan your funeral and pay for it so as not to be a burden on your family:surprise:

We get questions like this from new and inexperienced kids like you all the time and it really is silly:smile:

Both of those bikes can get away from even an experienced rider in a heart beat and it sounds like you aren't the type of person to have the maturity to own a 250cc streetbike at this time:surprise:

If you absolutely must do this, a Suzuki Hayabusha or a Kawasaki ZX14 or a BMW SS1000 or a Ducati Panagle or an Aprilia RSV4 would be better for your first bike as it would take you longer to 'outgrow' them:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

By the way, it would be impossible for you to get insurance right now and you better check first as no 'lender' will even finance you without full coverage insurance and I reckon it would cost maybe 3-4 thousand a year:crying:

OH, welcome to the forum:kiss:

Honesty is the best policy:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Wot Mildly said, makes good sense.
All of the CBR600 bikes are lousy street bikes, and as a first bike you should stay a long way from them.
A decent 500 is more than sufficient. I know an ex road racer guy ( expert plate ) that rides a Ninja 500. He is 77 and can out run any kid on an R6 in the twisties.
I am more interested in how you ride, and how long you want to ride safely, than what you ride. As long as it is not one of those useless 600s.

UK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts