Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. Recently bought a cbf 125 and it came without a speedo cable. Just been and bought a brand new one today but after installing it nothing. With one end plugged into the speedometer and the other end free, when I turn it the needle does move. After closer examination I can see that the gear it connects too by the folks does not rotate when the wheel does. Is it supposed to rotate? Or does it engage etc? Anyway I'd really appreciate any help as there's a lot of speed cameras around town and I'd like to avoid getting a ticket. Thanks guys!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The gearing on the wheel unit should rotate with the wheel. You might need to use a flashlight to see down inside to check if it's turning or not. Another easy way to check is to attach the cable to the wheel and and detach it from the speedo end, then check for turning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I have already checked and it is not turning. The information I have found suggests taking off the wheel to get to the unit and make sure the teeth that engage with the wheel are correctly engaging. Any suggestions ideas? Greatly appreciated.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
That's about all there is to it. These are usually very simple as far as how they work. Once you have the wheel removed, you will likely be able to tell what the problem is. It could have broken tabs or some problem with the gearing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is a long shot...but.
On a long journey on a 81 kaw I had this god awful squeal from the front end. Replaced bearings on the run and wound up in a hotel for the night. After tossing and turning I wheeled the bike inside the hotel and tore down the front end. Took a shot in the dark and took a important piece out of the speedothingamajig. Slapped it back togeather and I was good to go.
Best bet is to find a used speedothingamajig somewhere and try it because accept it or don't, Previous Owners are a bitch. Myself included *evil laugh*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts