Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1981 CB 750F Super Sport. I am back to riding after 33 years of raising kids, working, and school. My previous bike was a CB350 twin. I loved that bike in my younger days and really can't recall any negatives about the bike. I believe it was a '72. When I found this 750 I fell in love with it. After riding it now for a few weeks and making some adjustments to the shift lever I've discovered that this bike was really designed for people with small feet. It is very difficult to get my toe under the shift lever. I have it adjusted up quite high now and it is workable but I am looking for alternatives. I considered making a heel/toe but I don't think that will work well on this bike. So my next alternative is to look at either finding a longer shift lever or extending this one. Does anyone else have this problem or am I alone on this? If so, has anyone found a workaround that perhaps I havenot thought of?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Certified Homeless Biker
2,555 Posts
if your shifter mechanism is like mine you can rotate the end that's bolted to the shift shaft one or a few ... uh ... treads (that go along the shaft). It's dark now so I can't really take a picture to show you what I mean. Will do that in the morning. Or if you can take pictures now let's see them

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CB750 shift lever

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my shift lever slips over the gearshift spindle which has a toothed seration. I removed the shift lever and rotated it up to a point where it sits just below my toe in the riding position. That helps me a little but it is still dificult to get my toe under the shift lever. I believe this shift mechanism wasn't designed with my size 12's in mind (lol). My thoughts here will probably be to cut this lever and add an extension to move the part that my toe has to fit under forward about an inch. As a new member I can't post pictures yet but when I can I will.

·
Certified Homeless Biker
2,555 Posts
send me link to pic and I'll post it up for ya. You might need to combine both shift lever and the ... man I have trouble with words today - the long bolt that connects between the shifter itself and the gear shaft

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CB750 shift lever

I need 15 posts before I can post a link or a picture. I have a few more to go. It will probably be a couple of days before I can post pictures. I will take a pic in the morning. Then I will visit a local cycle shop and see what we can come up with in the way of shift levers that might do the job.

·
Certified Homeless Biker
2,555 Posts
lol ok. I'll see if I'll remember to post pics - big days tomorrow and Sunday - yard work.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CB750 shift lever

Don't worry about the pics man. Thanks for the help. I will get some up here in a few days when I hit my 15.
Enjoy the weekend

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An update on my shifter issues. In an effort to reduce the toe thickness on my riding boots I traded in my Cabellos for a pair of TourMaster Response boots on Saturday. This improved my ability to get my toes under the shift lever. I am still looking for a suitable alternate shift lever with a bit more length but in the meantime shifting comfort has been improved greatly with these boots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts