Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My fuel and gear indicator LCD screens are barely visible - although they do still function. I figured this fading was just because they are 30 years old, however I saw a bike on CL today (same year/make/model) that still had excellent LCD screen/contrast. I sent the owner a message asking if he replaced or rejuvenated the LCD over the years, but just wanted to make sure no one knew of anything that I might be missing.

Is there a bulb back there that help with the contrast that might have blown out? Is there a way to alter the contrast? Rejuvenated the crystals? Replace the screen (not the entire unit - just the screen?)

I know they are not NEEDED, but I think its a cool characteristic of the bike that I would really like to bring back to life...

Thanks in advance,

(1985 CB650SC)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would imagine it depends on how much time your cluster spent in the sun, could be a contributing factor.

I have a 1984 and my LCD is fine, but my needles are faded, go figure.

I don't think there's a way to bring the LCD back, probably will have to replace them. I've never looked into it myself however.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
This sounds familiar - have you tried wearing polarized sunglasses, to see if the contrast improves when you tilt your head the right way? I ask, because a recent post had the same issue, and the person did notice that polarized lenses had that effect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts