Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '78 Honda CB750F, I thought it had blown the head gasket. The gasket wasn't blown, the head wasn't flat. The shop had to take .026 off to get it flat. Is that to much? What is the best way to check for interference?

I do not know if the head has been milled before or not. I also wonder how much this will increase the compression ratio if at all.

Thanks

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Turning the engine over by hand slowly and watching the valves is an easy way to check to be sure nothing is bumping.

There should be an increase in compression. I have no idea how to calculate it without actually measuring the compression at the cylinder. I'm sure there is a formula for it if you want to know the exact amount.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
While that head is off check your valve guides. Some 78f models are known to have issues there after a while.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
no worries... if you are having probs with the valves closing, you can grind some of the ends off.(don't tell anyone I told you, you could do that)

62 thousanths... wow. I have heard that if you have to take any off, that you should get a thicker head gasket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts