Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old CV's are worn out and I want to go with a better carb. I've done a bunch of research and I've narrowed my list down to a few carbs but I wanted to get a little feedback since I couldn't find anything very recent.

The carbs I would like to go with are the Mikuni TMR32-D7 which seem to get great reviews from guys with decent experience. The only thing I don't know on these carbs is: can I reuse my existing throttle tube and cables? I'm researching and probably just need to shoot Mikuni an email.

The other two carb set ups I like are the Mikuni RS34 and the Keihin FCR. I can't find anyone who supports or sells the FCR carb for my 750 so I think that option is probably out. The Mikuni RS34 is readily available from a couple different vendors that I like and they are about half the price of the TMR's.

My question, which is the age old question, does anyone have experience with either and whatcha think? I'd love to know if I can bolt those TMR's right in and use the OEM throttle cables because otherwise I have no clue what type of cables. Also, I won't be using the filter box. I'll either do K&N pods or air stacks. I love the look of the stacks and I don't drive it much, especially in the rain, but not having filtration seems like a bonehead move.

My cb is a 1975 cb750 with some motor work. I've got a .040 bore over, yoshi exhuast, electronic ignition, minor porting, etc.

If I had stupid cash to blow I would just buy the Yoshimura TMR's and be sending you guys pictures instead of asking questions!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Hey there! I'm still running my stock carbs, but I have a lot of parts from Cycle X on my bike. (Pistons, cam, exhaust, etc, etc etc..)

Rack of 4 Carbs Page

They're really helpful when I've called with questions, too. Might want to give them a shout and see what they think.

I have pods on my bike and after getting the jets dialed in it runs fantastic! Personally, I wouldn't want to go without some sort of filtration, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Cycle x seems like a good vendor. I'll reach out to them before I make any decisions. I just read a post that was in reference to FCR vs. TMR and most people seemed to like the FCR better however it doesn't have a choke and they said the TMR seemed better for street riding and does have a choke. I believe they are both pumpers too. I don't race the bike at all only street riding so if that makes a difference I'd like to know. I think this topic will be 90% preference/opinion but I would like to know the over all opinions between the carbs. This topic may have been beat to death already though. Looking forward to responses...

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Yup, everyone will have an opinion.

I'm curious, did you consider just getting an ebay set of stock carbs and jetting them appropriately?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a big fan of the CV carbs mainly because I find them odd. I worked on a set of CV's for a friend and didn't like them at all. The ones I have ran/run pretty decent but they are leaking from the fuel rail now and instead of rebuilding them, I'd rather get something new and shiny. The bike is pretty cherry, almost showroom clean and I want to consider getting something that doesn't look like it's 40 years old. Why not get performance gains while I'm at it?

I don't think I could rebuild the CV carbs and replace the fuel rail o-rings and then put everything back together confidently. I've never had any carbs that functioned like the CV's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts