Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
So long
2,739 Posts
The good news is you got the recall notice instead of catching fire.

You are luckier than Johnny Blaze. :smile:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Recalls happen all the time and with every brand of bike. Most of them are the result of a company erring far on the side of safety and, although they indicate a problem that must be taken care of, are hardly any reason to panic. I bet if you looked up how many Ducati's actually burst into flame you'd find the number is relatively minuscule and that you're far more likely to die as a result of falling down the stairs or something.

·
American Legion Rider
25,916 Posts
Yep, got one on my Indian right now that I'm ignoring. Don't panic. The problem that causes a recall may not exist on every bike.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The good news is you got the recall notice instead of catching fire.

You are luckier than Johnny Blaze.
Ha! No doubt that it’s better to be told of the possibility than to find out for yourself the hard way. ?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recalls happen all the time and with every brand of bike. Most of them are the result of a company erring far on the side of safety and, although they indicate a problem that must be taken care of, are hardly any reason to panic. I bet if you looked up how many Ducati's actually burst into flame you'd find the number is relatively minuscule and that you're far more likely to die as a result of falling down the stairs or something.
Oh, I’m not worried about it. The retrofit was actually installed a month or so ago when I had the rear shock replaced. I think it’s sort of funny, honestly. The thought of riding down the road and suddenly becoming a human fireball is sort of funny, in the cartoon physics sense.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, got one on my Indian right now that I'm ignoring. Don't panic. The problem that causes a recall may not exist on every bike.
Luckily I’ve had enough recalls on the bike that the less-immediate ones get fixed along with the more important ones. Maybe “luckily” is the wrong word, but I fully expect bugs to be worked out on my dime because I bought an all-new bike, which I’d normally not do for just that reason. I couldn’t resist, though!

·
Ace Tuner
3,494 Posts
My wife's Toyota had 4 or 5 recalls.
We saved them up and had them all done at the same time. Probably not the smartest way to go because one recall was for an airbag.
I fixed the electronic window recall (deficiency) long before it was a recall. (Anybody could have seen that Micky Mouse system wasn't gonna work very long)!

I had a Yamaha R6 that had a sidestand switch mount recall. The recall notice stated what was wrong about the mounting and what the dealer would do to correct it.
Too easy, I took care of it myself along with a couple of other R6's that came in who's owners didn't get the memo.

Honestly, recalls are a good thing. As manufacturers find potential problems they take care of them (hopefully) before somebody bursts into flames.....

·
Visionary
5,255 Posts
What's the new Indian recall? ( asking for my wife, obviously)

·
Registered
454 Posts
What is it with Ducati and heat. I can't remember the year (s), but I think it was the panigale (race bike) that had the exhaust that was burning everyone's ass! Exotic?

·
Biker
1,623 Posts
Well, as 'Eye' sort of said not long ago, "Most bikers will probably die from excessive intake of deep fried foods than actual crashes."
Sounds like a much better way to go ! I'd pay attention to the recall but I Wouldn't get my shorts in a knot over it either. I suppose
it could be worse, Ducati sends you an email on your phone and you get it when you are gassing up. You did not see the sign at the
pump, Keep cell phones in vehicle and as you attempt to read while getting gassed. . .doesn't that just burn you up?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts