Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often have you fixed one thing, and felt good to go, then on your test ride something else buggers up.
I want to move the side car back one inch, but that may cause a bit of light steering at higher speeds. So I reinstalled the fork brace, and off I went. Going down the road, I noticed the right hand fork seal is leaking a lot.

AAAAaaaaaahhh. UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
Two steps forward, one step back. It is the way of the world Krusty,

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Then if that's the way the world goes, why do I take one step forward and two steps back in many cases. Especially when it comes to fence repair.:mad:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
For every action there is a reaction. My two forward = your two back and vice versa. ")

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Don't remind me of this .. Just totally serviced the Indian myself and was so proud of my Clutch Adjustment and Lubed the Cable Ends for the 4,000 Miles Road Trip and just to find out I broke the Flimsy Clutch Safety Switch .. Not all that big a deal except have to start in neutral now .. Might find one on the road but no Indian Dealer near me had one ..

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
You'd think they all would have plenty of them since it is such and easy thing to break. But maybe that's why no one has one too. I was very careful when I had tp replace my clutch lever. All this safety stuff is getting ridiculous.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
Kind of like after rebuilding my carbs and re-seating them, and having the boot let go!! (1985 Honda Shadow).

Appreciated the side car reference, since I ride with one alongside these days.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
It's a real pain when you fix something and then discover another problem, it's also a pain when you "fix" a problem and then discover the fix you made was not the problem! The original problem still exists and as you sit and scratch your head, you realize you didn't have to buy all those expensive parts and now that you've used them, they can't be returned!

Sometimes experience can get expensive. :)

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
Most problems have multiple potential causes. Being the cheapskate that I am, I always start by tackling the least expensive potential cause and moving along until the problem is solved.

What vexes me is when I get to the end of the list and the problem still hasn't been solved...

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'd think they all would have plenty of them since it is such and easy thing to break. But maybe that's why no one has one too. I was very careful when I had tp replace my clutch lever. All this safety stuff is getting ridiculous.
Elderly couple with a key less Toyota died. The did not turn off the engine.

If you have a computer controlled bike, and is starts running rough, how are you supposed to figure out what is wrong?

UK

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
I work in Industrial Maintenance,

That's the story of my life:wink2:

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many years ago, the clutch wore out in my 53 R Type Bentley. I put in a new clutch. During the test drive, a valve seat came loose.
After removing the head, I discovered the hardened liner on that cylinder, had collapsed inward. Put in 6 new sleeves and new rings. More than a weekend job.

UK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts