Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probly doesnt count as a motorcycle but my first bike was an old Briggs and Stratton 5HP mini bike. i called it my ghetto bike because of the simplicity and mechanics of it. there was a 5hp briggs motor mounted onto a steel frame of some kind with a metal paddle attached to a rubber bungie cord as the brakes. It had a kill switch and a tiny exhaust that didnt really muffle anything. it was a pull start and choked would usually start about 3rd pull. it idled very well. well I rode this thing terrorizing my neighborhood evert single day from january to late febraury. it had a top speed of about 35mph and had a seat height of about 20 inches. one day (february 24th 2009) i was riding around my subdivision and my buddy was behind me on his Suzuki 250 ATV. i Heard a very large backfire as i decelerated for going down a hill and didnt think anything of it. my friend yelled "your on fire" and i thought he was just kidding. but i looked down and to my dismay there was a flame coming from the gas tank right under my ass. i immediately slammed on the brake and turned off the engine and rolled it into the grass and let it sit on its side. within 4 minutes the entire motor was on fire and the seat, cables, grips where melting. a school bus stopped and asked if we needed the fire department. i said no and it drove off. another stopped and brought his extinguisher and put out the 2 foot flame abruptly. i let it cool down and looked at the damage. my seat was gone, the grips where melted, and the carburetor itself was melted! the entire motor and white frame was now ugly black. this my friends was the death of my 1960's-1970's ghetto bike. ive got videos of the damage on youtube but since im new to the forum i cant have links in my posts. search "My ( now ruined) mini bike- Briggs and Stratton 5hp" there are 2 videos.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Dang, glad your ok, what caused it
to catch on fire?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang, glad your ok, what caused it
to catch on fire?
dont know exactly. im guessing the large backfire somehow traced back into the carb and then went back to the gas tank. what surprised me is how the actual carb was literally melted. this bike is done for and i partially took apart the motor so you can see the "insides" and put it ontop of my dresser so my friends can get the gist of how motors work. that thing had a monster of a piston in it for only being a 5hp go-kart motor.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Thats a crazy story man, your lucky you came out without injury.

·
Veryfried
1,451 Posts
lol thats bonkers - you should let the makers know - maybe they will do something for you..

once saw a guy get set on fire with a petrol stihlsaw, cutting through a concrete lintel.
he was holding it vertical and didnt realise that fuel was pouring all over him...
soon as he hit the steel re-bar WOOOOF, up he went!!!
he was wearing waterproofs and they were melted good& proper!!!

that bike is totalled lol - you are lucky you didnt fry your bollox lol!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts