Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do y'all think that automobiles with auto-braking may eventually reduce or eliminate cars rear ending motorcycles (or other cars)?

Since only California allows filtering/splitting, though Texas may soon, as a result I feel like a sitting duck at a stop light. I would really love to pull into the split at stop lights and move forward at least enough to allow much larger pieces of steel aside from my little 400 pound MT-07 to shield me from the texting bimbos.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Nope. At least not at first. And it really won't make that much difference once they figure out how to see a motorcycle and not do false braking as well. Then you got almost a 100 years worth of other cars on the road anyway. It will be only after they ban all others cars from the roads before you can feel safe from idiots texting. The only cure for that is to ban texting or fiddling with a cell phone in a moving vehicle(car). And it will be a long time, if ever, before you see that.

As far as I'm concerned, go ahead and pull up in between two cars. Just don't go ahead an split the lanes by moving ahead of them. It might make them nervous but I really wouldn't give a rats behind. They make us nervous so fair is fair isn't it?

·
Registered
886 Posts
My opinion, auto braking is just a bad idea. It allows people to drive without paying attention, which they probably do already. They think I don't have to worry, the car will stop itself so why worry? Those self driving cars have already proven to be unable to sense bicycles or pedestrians causing them to be run over.

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
I just stop with a way out - angled towards a gap, and pay attention to what may come up behind. Auto-braking will likely not 'see' a motorcycle, anyway.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If the car auto brake sensor is supposed to be able to spot pedestrians walking, then we should be a bit safer on our bikes too.

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
My guess is....
If you are stopped behind a car at a light, the auto brake sensor will see the larger target, which is the car, and won't spot you until it's too late to stop.
CRASH!

·
Registered
781 Posts
The best safety device on the road is YOU! Be aware of your surroundings, and always leave yourself an 'out'.

I felt safer in the Jungles of Viet Nam than on the streets in this Country. At least over there, I knew who was trying to kill or injure me. Auto braking, lane drifting buzzers, air bags, seat belts, auto dim lights, all this 'tech' stuff, although safe, allows a lot of people who have no business being on the road, to be on the road. Car, truck, motorcycle, it makes no difference. It takes a bit of skill to operate a motor vehicle. With each new device that auto mfg's put into their cars, another skill set is lost. Drivers are putting too much faith in all this ****, while fiddling with their radios, Go Pro's, GPS display, of phones.

Will the Highways ever be safe? Sure. But not for awhile yet.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The best safety device on the road is YOU! Be aware of your surroundings, and always leave yourself an 'out'.

I felt safer in the Jungles of Viet Nam than on the streets in this Country. At least over there, I knew who was trying to kill or injure me. Auto braking, lane drifting buzzers, air bags, seat belts, auto dim lights, all this 'tech' stuff, although safe, allows a lot of people who have no business being on the road, to be on the road. Car, truck, motorcycle, it makes no difference. It takes a bit of skill to operate a motor vehicle. With each new device that auto mfg's put into their cars, another skill set is lost. Drivers are putting too much faith in all this ****, while fiddling with their radios, Go Pro's, GPS display, of phones.

Will the Highways ever be safe? Sure. But not for awhile yet.
I know of no study or evidence that adding safety features increases the percentage of already distracted drivers on the roadways. Many drivers are already driving distracted without auto-brakes or similar devices.

So would you rather the distracted driver have auto-brakes or not have auto-brakes?

I am just curious if the sensors of the first generation cars will see a motorcyclist or bicyclist?

I just read that the current (light vehicle) fleet turnover is right about 15 years as of 2018. If every new vehicle had auto-brakes it would be nearly 15 years before nearly all vehicles on the road would be so equipped. Of course there will be those who are hanging on to their Jeep TJs, YJs, CJs and other by then antiquated vehicles. So not likely that in the remaining riding years of many of us this will have a significant impact on rider safety.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I know of no study or evidence that adding safety features increases the percentage of already distracted drivers on the roadways. Many drivers are already driving distracted without auto-brakes or similar devices.

So would you rather the distracted driver have auto-brakes or not have auto-brakes?

I am just curious if the sensors of the first generation cars will see a motorcyclist or bicyclist?

I just read that the current (light vehicle) fleet turnover is right about 15 years as of 2018. If every new vehicle had auto-brakes it would be nearly 15 years before nearly all vehicles on the road would be so equipped. Of course there will be those who are hanging on to their Jeep TJs, YJs, CJs and other by then antiquated vehicles. So not likely that in the remaining riding years of many of us this will have a significant impact on rider safety.
Like you, I have no idea of a study that adding safety features increases the percentage of distracted drivers. There will always be bad, distracted drivers. So, yes, I would rather have the auto brakes. However, every year, we have new drivers hitting the hwys and they embrace the new technology as a 'do all, fix all', fully trusting the car to do the right thing. I guess a better phrase on my part would have been to learn how to drive without all the new stuff, so when the computer decides to go on vacation, the driver will know what to do.

As far as the first Gen? I've read reports that the new cars can see pedestrians, motorcycles and bicycles. But, as in another post, how can the car 'see' a motorcycle if it's stopped behind a car at a stop light? Creates a bit of a problem for us, doesn't it. Getting in between two cars personally doesn't seem like a good idea. All you are then is the first one at the scene of a wreck. I've always stayed a bit behind the car off to the right, so if I have to I can pull out into the curb side and get away.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Sometimes when I think of these newer technologies (radars, auto braking, semi-autonomous controls) I do fear that drivers will be even more distracted...

However one thing to remember is that irresponsible people will exist regardless if the tech does or does not. The tech merely changes how the irresponsible people use them.

Now instead of the guy who reads the newspaper on his morning commute, he's staring at a phone screen and he's going to do it regardless if the car will try to intervene or not.

Now the teenagers who once tried to do burnouts the old way will use launch control, and they'll be doing it in cars with more power than before. Even your base model sporty cars can lay down some serious rubber.

I am happy that if a drunk chooses to get behind the wheel, if he's driving a car new enough the car will try to save his and others lives. He'll likely drive drunk regardless of what tech his car has, but at least maybe everyone will have a better chance at getting home.

Perhaps if the guy who plowed into seven year old me had some collision avoidance system I wouldn't have to live with the permanent damage I got from the crash.

Reactions: ketchboy

·
Registered
272 Posts
Back in 85 maybe 86 I was rear ended by some moron in a small car. I was about to leave a parking lot and stop at a stop sign at the exit all of a sudden my bike lurched forward I though maybe the clutch cable snapped I really had no idea what had happened but all I knew was I somehow managed to keep the bike from hitting the ground but not by much the bike was still running so I figured it must not have been the clutch as I stood up the bike I noticed there was a car up against my rear tire and it all made sense. I put down the kick stand and approached the moron who had the nerve to tell me he never even saw me I asked if he was blind! I sort of snapped and pushed he against his car and pushed my forearm against his neck as I looked around I realized I was the one that looked like the crazy one and let him go but it could have gone very differently I would likely be in jail today!
Back at this time texting wasn't invited cell phones were just coming out and only a hand full of people had them. I was the first person I know to have one and I got it is 86' times have changed! I try not to think about it but I do what I can to be noticed and stay alert at all times not much more one can do!

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Or we can all just ride on two wheels and eliminate cars all together... or simply pay the **** attention ?
I could really go for that idea. Might help thin down the number of morons wasting good air too.

If it was to come to pass, do you think there would be a bunch protesting about it before it came to pass claiming
they would just move to Canada like they've done before in other protests?

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
It is sort of amusing to think of the big three becoming motorcycle manufacturers.

FCA brings back the Viper, but it's a bike...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thank you Ketchboy, my point exactly. These new technologies not only allow poor skills, but in my opinion encourage idiots to allow their vehicles to do more for them. And yes, autonomous vehicles have been found to not be able to "see" smaller objects like people, bicycles and possibly even motorcycles.

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
My guess is....
If you are stopped behind a car at a light, the auto brake sensor will see the larger target, which is the car, and won't spot you until it's too late to stop.
CRASH!
Well....wouldn't that be a system just ripe for product liability law suits.

If heavy keys gets 100's of millions this kind of liability would get bizillions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been reading this thread and I just doen't see it the way most of you do. I have multiple bikes and trucks, but the only thing that has auto braking is my wife's Altima. It is a God send. It's not designed to allow you to do other things than driving and paying attention, it can judge the distance and keep you at the distance when the cruise control is on and it also helps when someone cuts into your lane. I'm not ready to give up my vintage cars and trucks, but it would be nice to have some of these innovations retro fitted on them.

Driverless vehicles will have sensors that will talk to the surrounding vehicles and will monitor them so that a buffer zone is kept at all times, the same can be provided for cars with drivers like my wife's car. It has sensors that let you know if someone is beside you in your blind spot and if your veering out of your lane, also it comes in handy when a car going 20 miles an hour slower than you happens to change lanes without looking. 99% of the time none of these are needed, but it sure is nice to have when that 1% shows it's ugly face.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
It is sort of amusing to think of the big three becoming motorcycle manufacturers.

FCA brings back the Viper, but it's a bike...

Certainly like the sound of it but don't like the riding position at all.

Not much you can do with that position unless you want fired legs.

But it does sound awesome.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Nope. At least not at first. And it really won't make that much difference once they figure out how to see a motorcycle and not do false braking as well. Then you got almost a 100 years worth of other cars on the road anyway. It will be only after they ban all others cars from the roads before you can feel safe from idiots texting. The only cure for that is to ban texting or fiddling with a cell phone in a moving vehicle(car). And it will be a long time, if ever, before you see that.

As far as I'm concerned, go ahead and pull up in between two cars. Just don't go ahead an split the lanes by moving ahead of them. It might make them nervous but I really wouldn't give a rats behind. They make us nervous so fair is fair isn't it?
Is texting not illegal where you live? They banned it a couple years ago here, it falls under a wide umbrella of "Distracted Driving." Other things included are eating or drinking, operating the stereo, and a host of other common things we do while driving the car. Has it helped? Not really. Everyone still does it, and I only know one person who has gotten a ticket for it.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I have read articles suggesting that at some point they will determine that auto driving cars are safer than human driven cars and driving will become outlawed. At this point, no one will be able to go anywhere without someone else knowing where they are. Eff that. I am not in favor of ANY of these automated features. I'm sorry to hear of your accident Miss Mercedes, but the safety gains they claim are not worth my personal freedom.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts