Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so I'm looking to do some touring this summer and I' wondering what people use carry extra fuel, I don't have the space to carry one of the typical red plastic fuel containers, even one of the small ones, I was looking for some kind of small containers I could fit into my saddle bags. I've heard of people using the fuel bottles backpackers use for stove fuel. what do you guys use/suggest?

·
10,757 Posts
For Harley's there is a company that makes a small plastic gas can that fits perfectly in one corner of the saddlebag. I have never gone any place that is more than 240 miles between gas stations though so never though to buy one.

·
Registered
315 Posts
extra fuel

Not a bad idea to carry a quart or so in a proper gasoline can and well-secured on long trips in more remote areas (i.e., no gas stations!). If you think about it, I am riding with, when full, 5.8 gallons of fuel in a tank between my legs. This was a problem with my younger son's Sportster, running low or out of fuel, when it took it any distance. His solution was to buy a mint 2006 Triumph Tiger 955i. My bike runs between 200 and 250 miles or so on a tank, so this is less of a problem here, but carrying a little fuel is probably better than pushing a bike in the middle of nowhere to a gas station, and as luck might have it, the station would be closed.

·
Lead, follow or get out of the way. Life Is Good!
788 Posts
A Soto Stainless Bottle works great for me, holds about 27oz with a great screw cap that does not leak and easy to get off and on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
has anyone considered the rotopax cans? i am thinking about making a removeable mount to hold 2 of there 3 gal cans on my stryker for a road trip to virgina. seems like it could be done for under 200$. opinions? :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
68 Posts
My concern regarding plastic fuel cans is if you are in any kind of accident. The plastic tanks will not survive an impact, the fuel will leak and if it ignites and you are, say, pinned under the bike, well, it's gonna get ugly real fast.

I saw a video of a Jeep rollover that had a large plastic gas can on the rear (basically a plastic 5-gallon "Jerry Can"). During the rollover the can didn't get ripped open or torn from the mount, but it did impact a rock that crushed it in. The cap was blown off the can and the fuel shot up in a column like water from a firehose, shooting a good 15 feet into the air by my estimation as the Jeep rolled back up on its wheels. That was enough to convince me to never carry fuel in a plastic can on a bike.

No way I'm trusting an exposed plastic fuel can. Mounted inside a hard bag, maybe ... but that is a lot of lost luggage room. I'll stick to metal fuel bottles or, if I was serious about long distance riding, I'd mount a proper fuel cell.

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
Just thought I'd pop back in here and let you know that I just installed two MSR 30 oz bottle on my Bonneville. These will carry fuel for my Dragonfly stove, which can burn unleaded gas making them serve double duty as stove fuel and emergency fuel for the bike. I can get around 20 extra miles from two 30 ounce MSR bottles. I used the Topeak holders mentioned in the other thread mentioned above. All the details are posted on my blog (below in my signature area). Hope it helps someone.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
on my trip across Southeast Asia it was pretty common to see ppl going around with water bottles filled with fuel.. but I won't suggest to adopt this method..

·
On The Road Again!
3,265 Posts
My 77 Honda CT-90 has a factory installed 2 quart spare fuel container mounted in a locking bracket on the rear fender.
Wish they had something like that for other bikes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just thought I'd pop back in here and let you know that I just installed two MSR 30 oz bottle on my Bonneville. These will carry fuel for my Dragonfly stove, which can burn unleaded gas making them serve double duty as stove fuel and emergency fuel for the bike. I can get around 20 extra miles from two 30 ounce MSR bottles. I used the Topeak holders mentioned in the other thread mentioned above. All the details are posted on my blog (below in my signature area). Hope it helps someone.

Cheers,

Mike
I love your solution, what is your blog URL?
I use those too but need a better way to strap them on the bike versus inside my panniers. Would love to read your blog how to strapped them on. Thanks.

Madeleine (aka - Missrider)
http://www.missrider.com/

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
I love your solution, what is your blog URL?
I use those too but need a better way to strap them on the bike versus inside my panniers. Would love to read your blog how to strapped them on. Thanks.

Madeleine (aka - Missrider)
http://www.missrider.com/
Hi Madeleine,

My blog is at http://www.roaddogpub.com Current entry is at the bottom of the home page and other entries may be accessed via the blog list on the right side.

By the way, I figured out that your engine bars are Hepco-Becker, which will work on my bike with my Arrow two-into-ones. (I think I had asked you about them on Facebook.) I thought I would have the bars sooner and was planning on mounting the bottle holders on the guard, but finances held up my purchase of the guard and so I went with the installation on the passenger peg struts.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for sharing Mike. I will get the Topeka Bike Cages and try to mount them on the inside of the engine bars. However, I think it is going to make the bike look very funny with two red bottles in there. Will have to figure out a way to remove them when not touring the distance. In the US, specifically on the east coast running out of gas is not a problem. There are gas stations everywhere. I will need it for my ride to Alaska....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts