Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i got a 82 nighhawk 650 and have found a fuel leak coming from 1 of the carbs i was wondering if anyone knows if a set of carbs off a 1983-1985 nighthawk will be a direct replacement as i have a line on a set very cheap already rebuilt by someone i know

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info I did decide to just do a carb clean and full gasket set, gasket set is on its way should be here tuesday... Man I tell you this is my first bike and first time working on 1 and that was one he'll of a job to get the carb rack off it lol

· SUPER MODERATOR
10,555 Posts
Good decision to do your own work--especially if you own a motorcycle with Carbs!:wink2:

Once you successfully R&R the carbs the first time then the next time or on another bike, it will be much easier for you:smile_big:

Welcome to a great forum:grin:

Sam:nerd:

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to post an update she runs great all carbs cleaned out and new jets/needles, for anyone new that comes across this that decided to buy a 600 dollar bike as a first bike the hardest part was getting the carbs off lol just take pictures and do one thing at a time

· Registered
16 Posts
Nice! Does one or any of the carbs still leak? I'm about to rebuild a set for a 1980 cb650 and the owner had issues with the carbs leaking while the fuel valve was on. I assume the float height will be wrong. Did you make any adjustments to your float height?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the new gaskets and jets I have had no leaks I never fiddled with float height as my cv44 carbs are non adjustable, one recommendation if you have your right side cover the one that hides your air filter/intake box the reason I did all this work was a lean out at 5500 rpm about 60 mph she would fall flat on her face to shorten this up after all the carb work I could push 65 and that was it... Turns out the right side cover protects the intake from a vacuum generated by air passing over the air filter inlet I have get to locate a reasonable prices right side cover so I had to do some rigging and testing but now all is well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.