Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there to all. I know this is a issue with a lot of us, but I need some assistance from the guys who are far more intelligent than what I am with motorcycles lol.

I bought a Regal Raptor 350 Cruiser with dual carb over the weekend and the only issue it had is that it started only with choke full on and when you gave a bit of throttle it dies out. I was explained that motorcycle stood for 18 months so my common knowledge told me the carburetor clogged up probably.

I opened it and cleaned it out thoroughly and reassembled it. The problem now is that it still needs to be on full choke and you need to smother both inlets to get it to idle and be able to rev it.

If there is anyone who could assist me with this issue I would be greatly thankful.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Did you adjust the float levels? Make sure the air jets are clear? Are the carbs properly seated in the rubber boots that hold them to the engine?

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Well, what you describe is fuel starvation, so something is keeping the mixture too lean. You may have to recheck your work, looking for anything that can block the flow. Start by draining the bowls into a cup, just to see if they are actually filling.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Another thought - does the bike have a vacuum operated fuel valve (petcock)? If so, it may have a PRIme setting, which fills the carbs without the engine running; in this position, fuel should continue draining with the bowl drain open, and at a fairly quick rate. If you have the older style ON-OFF-RES valve, then in ON or RES the fuel should continue draining.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Started bike up again today and bike ran only on choke no need to smother. Revving still issue. Bike also miss fired a bit. Seems like one issue after another lol

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
The low speed jets are small, it is easy to clean the carb, yet still have them plugged. I use a ten times magnifying glass and hold them up to the light. Do what Wintr says and make sure there is fuel freely flowing. Could be the filters are plugged, either inside or outside the tank.

UK

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
I had the 2 carbs of my XS400 about 20 times before I got them figured. And then later I had one mounting bolt a bit loose, and that was causing problems. All good now and not dreaming of a new 400 anymore.

UK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bit that is concerning me is the fact that it is miss firing now. But will check everything out again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts