Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still working on an old 1976 Kawasaki KH100 got it running last summer. Now trying to get it back and running and it won't take. I've got good spark, but the carb is spitting, not back firing, but spitting fuel. Also the tank that holds my float bowls is leaking a bit, any ideas how to fix it or what it might be? It's getting good compression and timing seems fine.

Thanks!

·
American Legion Rider
26,018 Posts
Did you clean or rebuild the carb? It sounds like the float isn't working properly. Something holding it open allowing fuel to continue to flow. At any rate you probably need to investigate the carb or carbs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the original carb and been cleaned countless times, I'm thinking it may be a float issue too, would you recommend just adjusting the float tab? or is it something more serious? I read that it may be due to a worn piston, or the piston's intake port?

·
American Legion Rider
26,018 Posts
Being original then I'd go for a complete rebuild. But that's me and I'm not that sharp with motorcycles. Tractor, yes. There are some similarities but that's all.

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
A lot of time this can be caused be a worn needle valve, that's what regulates the flow of fuel into the float bowl. The tip can become worn or clogged with debris which doesn't allow the valve to close properly. If you say the timing and spark is right then the needle and seat would be my first thought. Especially if it has been sitting a long time. Maybe the float itself is water-logged.

Rebuilding that carb should not be that complicated, and if you're up to it, have at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts