Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Kawasaki ninja z1000r , I cleaned out all 4 carbs twice and I still can't find out why it pours out gas ... Any help is appreciated! Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Floats that don't actually float, or float valves that are binding and not closing, or a float level set incorrectly. Take just the float bowl off the carb that overflows, and lift the float until it presses the valve against the seat, then open the fuel valve. It shouldn't leak until you let the float down. If that works, verify the point when the float stops fuel from flowing, and measure it, to see if it is at the level stated in the specs. Also, pull the pin that holds it in, and put it in a bowl of gas, to see that it floats.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Floats that don't actually float, or float valves that are binding and not closing, or a float level set incorrectly. Take just the float bowl off the carb that overflows, and lift the float until it presses the valve against the seat, then open the fuel valve. It shouldn't leak until you let the float down. If that works, verify the point when the float stops fuel from flowing, and measure it, to see if it is at the level stated in the specs. Also, pull the pin that holds it in, and put it in a bowl of gas, to see that it floats.
Interesting that you mention checking the float itself. My hearing is not so great anymore,but i thought that I heard a tiny bit of fluid inside the float as I shook them. All i had to do was immerse them in a hot [tap] water vessel and the hot water heated up the air inside the float. Then came the bubbles and that confirmed the leak

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Interesting that you mention checking the float itself. My hearing is not so great anymore,but i thought that I heard a tiny bit of fluid inside the float as I shook them. All i had to do was immerse them in a hot [tap] water vessel and the hot water heated up the air inside the float. Then came the bubbles and that confirmed the leak
Even the plastic-covered foam floats will soak up fuel, and stop floating, and shaking them reveals nothing. You have to actually drop them in a bowl of fuel (kerosene is safer), to see. Or, use a very sensitive scale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts