Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This bikes been sitting in my Daughter's garage idle for 5 years?
I bring it home, put in new battery and fresh gas. With choke on, it finally starts and holds at about 4k+ RPM. After about 5 min warm up, I slowly adjust choke to off. At full off, engine shuts down, will not idle.
I start it again, adjust choke halfway and holds steady at about 2.5k RPM. However, when I apply throttle quickly, it bogs down and shuts off.
I pull carb off, take it apart and though it appears pretty clean. I clean the parts and jets anyway, hoping it will run better.
It now runs a little better. Engine idles at 1.2k RPM after warm up, but still slow to react when applying throttle. I'm still thinking maybe carb issues and perhaps should have replaced the fuel filter.
But the strangest thing is this: With engine running, I depress clutch, place it in 1st gear, as I apply throttle and slowly release clutch, engine starts to shut down, before clutch even begins to engage. So now I hold engine steady at about 3k RPM and as I release clutch, before it even engages, engine starts to shut down. I quickly depress clutch lever and hold it depressed and it steadies to 3k RPM again.
Hmmm... Carb or clutch? Any suggestions would be awesome.... Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm an idiot

Ok, I just figured out why it shuts down in 1st gear. I'm an idiot... I had the kickstand down and there's a safety feature that doesn't allow it to go in gear with the kick stand down... HELLO...
But, back to the carb problem. I cleaned the carb and jets. When warm, it idles fine. But when I give it throttle, it shuts down. ?? I'll change the fuel filter and hope for the best.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i had a suzuki that sat for awhile and i cleaned the pilot jets about 3 times finally i bought new ones and blew out the passages idle and pilot. partzilla ships in 3 or 4 days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts