·
Gone.
17,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By RonK:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiFast View Post
Now that's funny.

As if you have a clue about the dynamics of motorcycle handling...

Your car tires on motorcycles "research" (and experience) shows your brand of expertise and knowledge.

It would be laughable except you might lead the uninformed into a dangerous situation with your car tire ideas.

BTW, that's the one and only reason I dispute what you say... Danger for the uninformed.
--

Using your words to show how they can apply to your meaningless comments:

"As if you have a clue about...[millions of miles of actual road experience]."

"Your car tires on motorcycles 'research'...[exhibits my reasoning for comments] of expertise and knowledge."

"It would be laughable except you might lead the [easily persuaded, closed minded] into a dangerous situation with your [desire to believe only what profiteers tell you]..."

"BTW, that's... [one] reason I dispute what you say...Danger for the [easily mislead riders that have not done research]."

I really don't want to make this thread of Vito's turn into discussion about car tire truths. If you or anyone wants to go to the first link I posted, they will find a thread identical to this OP's in the discussions there. Then read the first answer to his inquiry. Or read the whole category.

If you, Semifast, wish to debate any of your statements, I will be happy to join a new thread with comprehensive posts on the merits of car tires on motorcycles (commonly called Darksiding). If all you can do is mention some canards without any backup, then we can guess that you are not really committed to the truth. It's easy for anyone to say that's what they think, but it doesn't mean anything unless there is some backup reasoning for the conclusion.

·
Administrator
1,774 Posts
I want to be a darksider, but can not find a tire that is any better that the motorcycle tube type tires I would have to modify Winger too much to achieve this. Funny though my tires I have on Winger have put darn near a thousand miles on them and still have all the mold tits all over them even where the road contact has been.

·
On The Road Again!
4,649 Posts
I want to be a darksider, but can not find a tire that is any better that the motorcycle tube type tires I would have to modify Winger too much to achieve this. Funny though my tires I have on Winger have put darn near a thousand miles on them and still have all the mold tits all over them even where the road contact has been.
Can't help with the GL1000. I doubt there are any car tires that are skinny
enough for that bike.
But I have been running a car tire on the back of my GL-1500 for a year now.
It now has about 9,000 miles on it and barely shows any sign of wear.
Handles great, dry or rain. Corners AIOR. (As If On Rails)

·
Very Famous Person
10,029 Posts
--

There are several Darkside forums on the web where there are lists of what different bikes have used in different tires. Most skinny wheeled bikes just don't have much choice. For my Road Stars with 3.5" rims, plus other dimensions, there is only one car tire available that I'm aware of. Fortunately the company that carries them sells hundreds every year.

Keep in mind, too, that the purpose in large part for using car tires is that often on large cruisers and touring bikes, the rear motorcycle tire is being overloaded when with rider, passenger, tools, gear, etc. being on that tire. Also, the car tires are just used on bikes that normally don't really lean over like a sport bike in turns. It's more like 35-40° max, as I recall, although the tire itself is not limiting the degree of lean angle, but hard parts on the bike start to drag first. Note that this type of tire is just used on rear tires.

--

·
Administrator
1,774 Posts
When I ride, I ride a minimum of 400 or so, thus my desire for one.

What about them double darksiders that is hard to imagine for me but the one guy who took the time to do a write up on his experience that I recall said it was nothing to ride once he got used to it.

·
Very Famous Person
10,029 Posts
When I ride, I ride a minimum of 400 or so, thus my desire for one.

What about them double darksiders that is hard to imagine for me but the one guy who took the time to do a write up on his experience that I recall said it was nothing to ride once he got used to it.
--

A "double Darksider" is a bike with a car tire on the rear and a motorcycle rear tire on the front. I run that way since the rear tire has almost twice the tread. I suppose someone, somewhere has run car tires front and rear, but most Darksiders don't. I have never seen a post from anyone who has run a car tire on the front of a bike, although I suppose it would work on a trike.

--

·
Administrator
1,774 Posts
Well ****, I miss understood that I understood it to be a car tire on front and rear. but I found the article (forum post he said it was on a GL1800) pretty quick where the guy plainly said rear MT on the front and a CT on the rear. Makes since would be hard to imagine a car tire on front and rear and doing anything but straight ahead riding.:smiley_mornincoffee

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I have LT tires on my truck. P-metric on the car. My lawnmower has turf tires. ATV uses all terrain tires. And my bikes use bike tires. Call me unoriginal. :)

I'm still waiting to see someone get out of fault for a car-bike accident where the bike had an automotive tire on it. In this day and age, I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

·
Very Famous Person
10,029 Posts
I have LT tires on my truck. P-metric on the car. My lawnmower has turf tires. ATV uses all terrain tires. And my bikes use bike tires. Call me unoriginal. :)

I'm still waiting to see someone get out of fault for a car-bike accident where the bike had an automotive tire on it. In this day and age, I certainly wouldn't rule it out.
--

I wouldn't call you "unoriginal". Unimaginative maybe.

I have followed this Darksider idea for over a decade and read literally thousands of posts. I have never seen a single one with any legal problem even after an accident. Car tires are either legal for highway, or not. Not could mean bald, for example. There is no mention on car tires that it can only be used on a car. Go ahead and read one. Are people sued for most anything, you betcha'. I believe McDonald's has a suit going now because someone got cheese on their cheeseburger!

--

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I never said I ever seen a case. That's why I said I'm waiting to see one. But being DOT legal does not mean exempt from lawsuits. You and I both know that it can be easily argued by the lawyer that the tire used was not designed for cycle use, and he'd likely argue on the same points that the anti-dark-siders do around cycle forums. Throw in a technically ignorant jury, and that's all she wrote.

·
On The Road Again!
4,649 Posts
(yawn!) SO much ARGUING!
I'm going out for a long ride on my Goldwing with the "dangerous" car tire on the back.
I'll be heading to bike night where there will be MORE bikes with "dangerous" tires on the back!
See you later.

·
Very Famous Person
10,029 Posts
(yawn!) SO much ARGUING!
I'm going out for a long ride on my Goldwing with the "dangerous" car tire on the back.
I'll be heading to bike night where there will be MORE bikes with "dangerous" tires on the back!
See you later.
--

I mean, in Jersey how far can you ride? Up the block?

--

·
Gone.
17,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
--

A "double Darksider" is a bike with a car tire on the rear and a motorcycle rear tire on the front. I run that way since the rear tire has almost twice the tread. I suppose someone, somewhere has run car tires front and rear, but most Darksiders don't. I have never seen a post from anyone who has run a car tire on the front of a bike, although I suppose it would work on a trike.

--
In another thread you said that there is no difference in handling between a motorcycle tire and a car tire when used on a bike. I've seen that claim elsewhere too. If handling and handling safety aren't effected, then why not use a car tire on the front too?

·
Very Famous Person
10,029 Posts
In another thread you said that there is no difference in handling between a motorcycle tire and a car tire when used on a bike. I've seen that claim elsewhere too. If handling and handling safety aren't effected, then why not use a car tire on the front too?
--

Just as a car tire's design and profile do not lend them to the needs of a sport bike, the car tire has been found to be a terrific alternative to a traditional rear bike tire on large bikes. I can't quote you the dynamics, or feel as some may have described, but apparently it doesn't work well on the front. Many years ago, when there were few bike tires available, bikes used whatever car tires there were around, even apparently in dirt track races. Lots of things have changed, including that there were no "super" bikes 75 years ago with the specific design to handle obscene turns.

Also, I don't recall saying there was no difference in handling of the two types of tires. The main difference in 'feel' is that the ct has more tendency to want to right itself and hold a straight line. This seems to be less so when the tire pressure is low. Many of us run the ct at around 30-32#. Some brands of tires are more noticeable than other. Some riders liken the feel to that of a mt that's been worn down flat in the center. Personally I find I can corner with what seems to be the same ease with either tire. I would suppose there is more difference in the design of the bike on how readily cornering is completed. Regardless, those who use a ct on the rear and do notice a difference soon adapt and forget it as it's minor.

--

·
Gone.
17,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you're saying it's not the handling but the "feel" of the bike / tire. If the car tire is mounted in the rear the feel is not greatly different, or at least can be gotten used to. But if the car tire is mounted in the front it is merely the feel that is not comfortable or gotten used to. The tire performs equally well and equally safe in either position, but just doesn't feel right on the front.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,843 Posts
I believe the consternation about car tires has a lot to do with the tread design that has non-rounded edges from the bottom to sides. Funny, lots of Harley's and others came from the factory with those types of tires front and rear and here's some examples:

·
Gone.
17,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't care anything about the tread shape or whether the edges are rounded. That might effect handling and perhaps, because of handling, effect safety. I don't know that though and am just curious about it. Maybe the handle differently and maybe, as Ron says, it's really more of a "feel" and they actually perform equally as well as far as handling goes.

I won't mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim because the rims are designed differently and the bead seating areas are different, and a car tire does not get fully seated on a motorcycle rim.

·
Very Famous Person
10,029 Posts
So you're saying it's not the handling but the "feel" of the bike / tire. If the car tire is mounted in the rear the feel is not greatly different, or at least can be gotten used to. But if the car tire is mounted in the front it is merely the feel that is not comfortable or gotten used to. The tire performs equally well and equally safe in either position, but just doesn't feel right on the front.
--

You must just be in the mood for a pissing contest today. Did you sit on a tack and lose all your hot air? Need to get pumped up again? :crying:

--

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.