Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm faced with high class problems today... such as i can afford a motorcycle or a car. I live in Michigan, Ann Arbor to be exact. its a small city and i work downtown. getting to work is about a 15 minute walk. Ive been riding a bicycle and really enjoy that open feeling i get riding it.
I guess what im asking is people opinions. should i get a motorcylce or a car. it does get cold up here in michigan and winters last for 4 or 5 months. but i dont need a car to survive, seeing how i havent had one in a year or two. im also lookin down the road too, im 20 right now and want to invest in a vehicle that is goin to provide me with the reliablity in whatever life throws at me. Ive talked to alot of people and like their responses range from one extreme to the next. so im asking for help, please

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are lots and lots of ideas and threads on this subject.. hit that search button and you'll find hrs of reading...on anything.

but in answer to your question. I, like you, was faced with that same exact question about a yr ago. I'm a 22 yr old male...practicality? please. GET the bike! seriously you won't regret it. sure there are times that it will suck not having a car; Winter, giving people rides, no storage, winter, going to the grocery store...any store, Winter, rain, sleet, hail, wind, winter- but even with all that Get the bike! The good times far out weigh the bad. plus in about a month all your buddies will want one too. then its even more fun!
:D:D:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went with just a bicycle for almost 10 years when I lived in downtown DC. And I'm not talking about when I was a kid. I really enjoyed going without the gasoline-fed ball and chain. Whenever I needed a car I just rented one.

If I needed to choose, I'd probably go with a motorcycle. But I'm the kind of guy who rides year-round because I hate being enclosed in a car. Normal people would go for the car.

So I suppose the question might be, how normal are you?

·
Registered
149 Posts
RoadWarrior has a good point. I'm from the DC area too and at least around here, we have "zip cars" (I think that's what they're called). They're a rental service that keep a few cars parked at metro stations and for a small fee you can get the car for the day. You get an account with the zip car service and they give you some electronic key which can open any of their cars. At least, I think that's how it works. I've never used it but I've had friends who did in DC and it worked well for them. One friend in particular lived in DC for 3 or 4 years without a car and just rented a zip car once a month.

I hear that Ann Arbor is a similar type of city, so maybe look around for your equivalent of a zip car? I'm sure it's not the same company but I've heard that most cities have some program like that these days.

As for bike or car? I'd go with the motorcycle. I got a motorcycle at the start of this year and sold my car a few months ago. I saw no point in paying for the car, the insurance premium, etc. when I never drove the thing. Like RoadWarrior, I can't stand driving anymore.

Then again, I've got my wife's car if I really, really need a cage. There are pros and cons but I haven't regretted my decision to ditch the car once.

·
2005 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
338 Posts
I know the feeling. The more I motorcycle, the more I want to motorcycle. Driving hasn't been this much fun since I was a teenager with my $300 car and license still hot from the laminate machine.

Still though, that sheet rock would not have fit on the bike. There's no bed to put that new rocking chair in to get it home.

Choosing one or the other, it depends on your situation. For me, having a bike as a primary me hauler is great. I don't have to bring much to work. But if I did, or when I do need to haul stuff it's so very nice to still have a truck.

I wouldn't choose a motorcycle as my only vehicle. A truck or car makes more sense for me if I had only one vehicle. It'd be a truck, preferably, for their utility.

If your primary and most often use of a vehicle is you hauling, go for the bike. Since having mine, 90% of my me hauling is done on two wheels.

·
Registered
101 Posts
All very good, valid points which I have to agree with. Ultimately, the decision to buy a bike or a car is dependent on your individual needs. If you can walk anywhere you need to go or rent a car when the weather is too bad, the roads are too treacherous, or the bike is in the shop for whatever reason, I say go for it. Winter season doesn't have to equate to no riding season. Though I don't ride during the extreme winter months, there are people that do. Check the forum for a thread on cold weather/winter riding. Good luck in your decision!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts