Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm a senior in high school and I have to write a capstone paper and do an accompanying project. Any ideas? I'm really interested in the mechanics of motorcycles and future of the industry but have little knowledge about motorcycling. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I thought the idea of a capstone was to demonstrate that everything you learned can be put together and make sense? How can you do that on a subject you know nothing about?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,493 Posts
Welcome from Daytona Beach.

I have no idea what a capstone paper is, so I won't be much help.
Here you go Eye. (yes I had to look it up)

Capstone Project

LAST UPDATED: 02.17.14

Also called a capstone experience, culminating project, or senior exhibition, among many other terms, a capstone project is a multifaceted assignment that serves as a culminating academic and intellectual experience for students, typically during their final year of high school or middle school, or at the end of an academic program or learning-pathway experience. While similar in some ways to a college thesis, capstone projects may take a wide variety of forms, but most are long-term investigative projects that culminate in a final product, presentation, or performance. For example, students may be asked to select a topic, profession, or social problem that interests them, conduct research on the subject, maintain a portfolio of findings or results, create a final product demonstrating their learning acquisition or conclusions (a paper, short film, or multimedia presentation, for example), and give an oral presentation on the project to a panel of teachers, experts, and community members who collectively evaluate its quality.

Capstone projects are generally designed to encourage students to think critically, solve challenging problems, and develop skills such as oral communication, public speaking, research skills, media literacy, teamwork, planning, self-sufficiency, or goal setting—i.e., skills that will help prepare them for college, modern careers, and adult life. In most cases, the projects are also interdisciplinary, in the sense that they require students to apply skills or investigate issues across many different subject areas or domains of knowledge. Capstone projects also tend to encourage students to connect their projects to community issues or problems, and to integrate outside-of-school learning experiences, including activities such interviews, scientific observations, or internships.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum.
I thought the idea of a capstone was to demonstrate that everything you learned can be put together and make sense? How can you do that on a subject you know nothing about?
At our school, we pick a topic, i.e the future of design or whatever, and argue what will happen and design or make something in the process. So are there any problems or questions of or about motorcycles/motorcycling that have no immediate answer?

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Capstone

I learn something new every day.
If that is the case, I think my capstone project was to get a date with Mary H.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
I don't recall them calling it a Capstone project in school, but my final year was spent with half a day working. It was called Distributed Education back then. We had to give a report with things like, why we wanted in the class, what we expected, what if anything surprised us and what we learned. That report was worth 1/2 the credits for the class room portion.

I wonder if Capstone is what that all turned into? I sure never heard that word. All of us just thought it was a get out of jail free card. I've never gone to a reunion so have no idea what became of that project. I say project because it was new at our school. The guy teaching it was a real dork. Most of us skipped the classroom part except for tests anyway.

I always thought it would be a failure myself but maybe this is what it grew into. Maybe taking the get out of jail free part out.

·
11,493 Posts
Here you go Eye. (yes I had to look it up)

Capstone Project

Wow Critter...I was really impressed until I saw that you had to look it up.:biggrin:

Jahuth, we all do what we have to do to get by. The important thing is I knew where to find it.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
At our school, we pick a topic, i.e the future of design or whatever, and argue what will happen and design or make something in the process. So are there any problems or questions of or about motorcycles/motorcycling that have no immediate answer?
"Is a Polaris Slingshot to be considered a motorcycle, and should it's drivers be accepted as "Bikers" by the greater motorcycling fraternity."

Someone else probably has better suggestions, but that's what I came up with right off hand.

·
11,493 Posts
"Is a Polaris Slingshot to be considered a motorcycle, and should it's drivers be accepted as "Bikers" by the greater motorcycling fraternity."

Someone else probably has better suggestions, but that's what I came up with right off hand.
:coffeescreen::thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts

At least he would have no trouble finding differing opinions on that one.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
There have been a hundred studies of whether or not helmet laws create safer conditions, so l wouldn't bother with that. How about something along the lines of cost...a lot of riders come here thinking they will start riding to lower their transportation costs. You could do a study on the total costs of riding and how to get more for your money, maybe create a gear recycling program, or maybe compare several different popular bikes and figure out which one is the most economical when you include several factors, such as gas mileage, insurance costs, routine maintenance, cost of larger unexpected repairs, that sort of stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Thesis

A comparison of the early poor quality JA Pan bikes, and how they evolved into much better quality bikes.
As opposed to the early Chinese bikes, which are still worse than the early Japanese for quality control.

A Japanese copy example would be the Kawasaki 650 copy of an A10 650 BSA.

The Chinese 110 cc bike which is a copy of the 110 cc Honda that grew from the CT90.

Added bonus would be how the US borrows $$ from the Chinese, that in turn gets covered by the US purchase of crappy goods.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I think a lot of Americans don't realize just how much we're into the Chinese for, Krusty. They're the largest foreign holder of US debt. Something like ten percent maybe?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts