Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
I bought a 1995 Ducati Monster back in 2004, Awsome bike, I drove it a lot after I bought it.

The previous owner changed out the Pistons to some kind of after-market hemi-pistons that made the displacement about 50cc larger.
However, Since I have had the bike it is almost always an issue to start it. The engine seems makes a very low sound while it turns and you have to throttle it just right for it to start, or I have to jump or rolling start.
When it's jumped it works great, so power is the issue.

I think it's because of the after market pistons require more power.

My buddy is an electrician - and recomened installing a capacitor onto the battery to keep the high ampage when the engine starts.
He is not into motorcycles so I wanted to know if anyone else has tried this...?

Cheers:71baldboy:

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
You might want to look into the possibility of installing a compression release as well. Electrically I can't help.:( A cap does sound interesting but where and how I'm clueless.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, make sure your starter is working properly and not weak in any way, and make sure there is no resistance across the solenoid when it is triggered, grounds are clean and all that, and if it still isn't working a better battery is probably the solution - more CCA as Dodsfall said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts