Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To ride! I know it is only January but i want to take out my bike. I am usually good til the end of February when hunting is all done for me, then i start pacing. Sometimes i wished i lived down south so i could ride more. I was a bit distracted this summer so i didn't ride like i wanted, rain didn't help.
I do have to go to Florida in a couple months and i thought about maybe trailing bike to NC and riding down.
If this garage was heated i would probably clean it or dust it off and rub it haha

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
It's only marginally better here. And you get used to it and still find reasons NOT to ride anyway. Like today, its foggy and I'm geared up but don't want to get wet AND cold. Seems there can/is always something. But I guarantee I couldn't deal with your weather at all paula. Hang in there, you'll soon be able to ride.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
We had pretty decent riding weather for most of the fall. And despite a big snowstorm in November, I had several days of riding that month. Then in December I got out for one ride, and so far, the same in January. I've had years like this before where I had the chance to ride at least once each calendar month, making the winter not as bad as it might have been. Two years ago, though, I went almost 4 months without riding and it felt like I would never get to ride again. The real answer to have a place to live, and store a bike, in both the north and south. Living in the south is nice in the winter, but as I learned in the years I lived in South Texas, the summers were more limiting that the winters in the North. When the weather was high 90's or higher, with high humidity, even during the hours of darkness, I had little motivation to ride. It was especially bad when you knew you would be encountering millions of bugs as you rode, and some would get inside your helmet as well. So when I hit the lottery my plan is to buy a place in south Florida and stay there for Dec through March, and live up north from April through November each year, and get to ride all year long.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'm still braving the winter on my Chinese steed. It's still very fun, but not as fun as a warm summer day when the trees are green and the roads aren't laced with dangerous ice. Oh...and I want to be able to ride my vintage bikes without worrying about the aggressive salt trying to dissolve them. :)

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I actually prefer those ultra hot days to the semi cold days we are having now. My poor feet just freeze when I ride below 60º. My wife is just the opposite. What an odd team we make but we do it and it works. In fact we just got back from a short 125 mile ride that started in 41º fog and we finished at 55º and clear. But we got cement that needs to come in for our barn that's getting built and the ground is so wet that the sand truck almost got stuck. But they have a big bulldozer lined up to pull the cement truck out when/if it gets stuck. I'm betting it will but the guys building it think they can do it. If they can't the weather coming in will delay them by at least 2 weeks. So it's a do or die thing. In this case I'm glad all I have to do is write the check. Love these turn key locked in jobs.:grin: It isn't my problem. :devil:

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
Winter sucks!
Especially here when they drown the roads in salt at even the mention of the word snow.
I have the clothing, so I can stand the cold for a while, but even if there was no salt on the road, my enthusiasm for riding is at a low ebb.
Everything is brown.
The summer scenic roads aren't very scenic.
Many of the places I like to stop are closed for the winter, like ice cream shops.
There are no "bike nights".
Friends don't want to ride.
(sigh)
I'm sure I could come up with other reasons, but why bother.
Wake me up when it's spring.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Can't wait till spring! Supposed to be -9 here tonight in NY. Expecting 14 inches of snow this weekend. Fast forward to April!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
How close are you to the lake, JAM?

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
If he's in Watertown, he might as well be IN the lake! LOL!!!

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
I'm struggling over here too. Here being Long Island. I got to ride a few times this month but they were mostly unpleasant.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Haven't rode since October. October, November and December are my Deer hunting months all my free time I'm in the woods. I'm bored as **** now with hunting season over and prably at least 2 months to go before I wake the bike up from hybernation. All I got now is the NFL playoffs.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You have rabbit season now
Never got into rabbit hunting to much and when I did go it was when the kids were small just to get them introduced to hunting. I never had a lot of luck maybe that's why I never got hooked on it. I did however treasure the time spent in the woods with the kids. The only time I had much luck is when I went with a guy from work who had 2 beagles.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I stopped hunting them after I tried to eat my first one. Tasted okay but there was enough of a similarly to chicken that the difference made me think I had bad chicken that was too rich for my gut to handle. So I just let the cats have any that I do shoot that are raiding my garden. Y'all can have the things! :)

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have 4 beagles, i am running 3 right now. Some days i don't even take my gun, i love hearing the dogs and watching the rabbit dodge them. They are fast little suckers so i miss a lot.

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
For me this year wasn't bad for riding up until last week it was wet but the snow held off, but then we had that little 2 inch snowstorm that they covered with 6 inches of salt, and now we apparently are getting ready for some serious snow tomorrow, followed by a deep freeze. Looks like the bikes will be sitting for a little while now.
All of them are plugged in, all but one has STABIL in the gas tank, I'll see in a week or so how the weather looks and decide if that ones gets a treatment too.

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
Yeah Mike. From what I see, your area is supposed to get it the worst, up to eleven inches of snow.
Not that my area will be much better.
The real killer will be the single digit temperatures that will roll in after the storm passes. All that **** is gonna freeze solid.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Yup, I'm still in hunting and hockey mode. Going after pheasants tomorrow with 2 of my brothers and niece. It's gonna be 5 degrees, but it'll still be fun. (growing up in Wisconsin, it's not cold until it's below 0, and then it doesn't matter anymore.)

Shot a few rabbits 2 weeks ago, and one is set for the stew pot today. I didn't get a deer this year so I'll have to work more to get some other game in the freezer.

I'll start to get the riding itch back after the IMS in early February and it'll really start chaffing after Bikes at the Brewery in early March.

@hogcowboy, if your rabbit tastes like chicken; you're cooking it wrong:grin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.