Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month includes two "firsts" in my motorcycle riding career. First off, I'll be riding somewhere else besides Southwest OH/Northern KY, and secondly, will be riding a bike other than my Suzuki 800 cruiser. I'm renting a Harley Fat Boy for a day of touring through the canyons (Mulholland Hwy) in Southern California. I'm 99% excited and have 1% anxiety, mostly because the Fat Boy is an extra 150lbs, plus I will be carrying a 125lb passenger.

I have ~25,000 miles on the Suzuki so feeling very confident about on-bike skills, but clearly it's going to be a different experience on the bigger Harley. Any thoughts, warnings, watch-outs?

·
American Legion Rider
18,627 Posts
Are you presently riding with a passenger? If so then you'll have no problem. But be prepared to start shopping for a new bike when you get home. You've been warned!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Just something my friend told me about the other day...he said he liked the Fat Boy but wouldn't buy one because the solid wheels make for a real tough ride when it gets windy. Something l hadn't really ever thought of, but it made sense once he said it.

·
6,503 Posts
Make sure you visit the "ROCK STORE," while you are there preferably on a Saturday or Sunday.

https://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1&sa=t&ct2=us/0_1_g_2_0_t&gid=BNB&bvm=section&usg=AFQjCNFzoGGOyDHXPYjNWc2NPxc1MTewGQ&did=6473835545933752805&cid=52778835988016&ei=mpxQVZCXPKH7wQHkuoDICQ&rt=HOMEPAGE&vm=STANDARD&authuser=0&url=http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2015/05/11/wild-weather-sweeps-across-texas-causing-injuries-and-damage/

The Fat Boy has a very low center of gravity and won't be a problem and don't worry about the 'SOLID' wheels on the bike picking up side winds as I've heard like one complaint since the bike came out in 1992.

Drop down into Zuma Beach and Malibu and go to the Santa Monica pier.

I'm a CA Boy and miss the area and especially the ocean.

Have fun.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
10,763 Posts
You will love the Softail. Very comfortable easy bike. That low Center of gravity makes it feel much lighter than it really is. Do remember that it is not a sport bike and will not corner like one. They scrape very easily.

·
American Legion Rider
18,627 Posts
Make sure you visit the "ROCK STORE," while you are there preferably on a Saturday or Sunday.

https://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1&sa=t&ct2=us/0_1_g_2_0_t&gid=BNB&bvm=section&usg=AFQjCNFzoGGOyDHXPYjNWc2NPxc1MTewGQ&did=6473835545933752805&cid=52778835988016&ei=mpxQVZCXPKH7wQHkuoDICQ&rt=HOMEPAGE&vm=STANDARD&authuser=0&url=http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2015/05/11/wild-weather-sweeps-across-texas-causing-injuries-and-damage/

The Fat Boy has a very low center of gravity and won't be a problem and don't worry about the 'SOLID' wheels on the bike picking up side winds as I've heard like one complaint since the bike came out in 1992.

Drop down into Zuma Beach and Malibu and go to the Santa Monica pier.

I'm a CA Boy and miss the area and especially the ocean.

Have fun.

Must be different down there. Up north I got real tired of the fog rolling in every day around 3:00pm. Made for rather cool/wet evenings. Day after day. :thumbsdown:

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Just something my friend told me about the other day...he said he liked the Fat Boy but wouldn't buy one because the solid wheels make for a real tough ride when it gets windy. Something l hadn't really ever thought of, but it made sense once he said it.
Old wive's tale.

Or tail.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. I'll definitely get in more practice riding with a passenger and check out the ROCK STORE while on the Snake. Sorry to hear the Fat Boy scrapes easily, I know there are lots of hairpin turns, one really tough one (ridiculous incline) going up to the home where we'll be staying. I'll take it as wide as possible.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, back from the SoCal trip, and first ever ride on a HD. Especially going through the canyons (with passenger) the Fatboy power was great, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. In fact, it was easily the most challenging and exciting riding to date; can’t wait to do it again. We did do “The Snake” and stopped at the Rock Store on Mulholland Hwy, but it was closed. In fact, the whole day was rainy, a rarity for LA these days, but no way was it going to interfere with our 350 mile day.

So it’s back to the middleweight Suzuki cruiser and OH/KY roads. Damn, I’m already missing the feeling of powering through the canyons; probably the same feeling people have after doing crack for the first time.

·
6,503 Posts
I'm glad you enjoyed yoursef and had a safe trip.

It's really too bad that you weren't able to be there on a weekend when the Rockstore was open as it's amazing, with bikes of every kind imaginable.

I do note that you weren't violently blown off the road because of the solid wheels or even if it had the holes drilled in it!!! It's amazing what crap you here about bikes but especially Harleys.

My next door neighbor in CA had a new Fatboy with the solid wheels and we rode all over the western states together. I rode an Electra Glide at the time and was a Road Captain for a big ABATE chapter and another HOG chapter and was co-founder of another Harley club and never heard anyone complain about any of the things they say about Harleys---except the price;)

If the NHTSA recalled FATBOYS then I guess they'd get me:biggrin:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yeah no wrecks, no problems and the wheels didn't cause the bike to be blown off the road; despite the windy day. I ended up taking 3 different passengers... sister, daughter and brother-in-law all wanted to be on the bike. That's fine, they were largely ignored while navigating the twists and turns. Next time we will get to the rockstore on the weekend (it's an annual trip); though this time around I was just as happy with the sparse weekday traffic.

It's fortunate we didn't have any trouble with the law though. As can be seen from the attached pic, my look (on left) is extremely tough and intimidating. In fact, I tried to look as menacing as possible with the blacked-out Harley, but for some people it obviously doesn't work. Perhaps some facial hair would help.

Attachments

·
6,503 Posts
Did you get down to the coast? If so, had you seen the ocean before?

I have seen the reaction to seeing the ocean for the very first time by friends and relatives seeing it and the looks are priceless!

I was born just 30 miles south of the beach at Malibu/ Zuma, not 10 miles from the coast and lived there until 1999. I miss the ocean most of all, being a Diver, fisherman and sailboat and powerboat owner when I lived there:biggrin:

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
You look like a stone cold killer to me.

Okay, maybe you're not QUITE as Hollywood-handsome as I am, but whatever...:)

I got a smile over your license plate. We were riding in AZ and Utah and such a few weeks ago, and we started seeing motorcycles with FL plates. At first we were like, "Hey! Another bike from Florida." Then we started seeing more of them. In CO we met a woman from FL who had been out 28 days, then a couple who lived very close to us, and often rides to many of the bars we ride to. We kept seeing more and more and MORE Florida plates. Then we started running across people on bikes with FL tags that were from Germany, and Austria. Lots of them. Many, many lots of them!

(And also many German speaking families that were not on bikes. It was kinda fun to listen to their comments when they didn't realize I knew what they were saying.)

Finally, we met a fellow at a hotel on a BMW (with FL tags) who was from Germany, and we hoisted a few and shared a few stories. He was taking the bike from the NW to Miami as an agreement for the German travel company he worked for, so he got a great employee-deal, and it allowed him to live out his dream of riding through the USA.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts