Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first opening for the only motorcycle safety course in my area, as well as the future courses there, won't work for me. They are scheduled from 645am-5pm. All of the weekend courses are full but even at that, I don't know that I'd be able to do 3 days from 645-5pm. I've looked for other courses but there aren't any in my area. I've even tried to find private instruction. How do you learn to ride in day anyway?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,671 Posts
Check with your local Harley dealer. It will be a bit more but they should have classes.

In MD you go to 2-3 hour (7-10pm) classroom sessions on different days. Followed by a 9-5 Saturday, and 9 - until you finish Sunday.

Reactions: Porky

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
That's what my wife did for trike instruction. Unlike the bike courses the riders used their own machines. It was a very good course. One that taught good braking skills. So much so that I had to install new brake pads. That's a lot of braking in such a short amount of time. Two days but all day both days. Four hours each day was class, the rest was range-time. Was a good class for her. I suspect the bike classes are equally good. HD is trying to help folks.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
The first opening for the only motorcycle safety course in my area, as well as the future courses there, won't work for me. They are scheduled from 645am-5pm. All of the weekend courses are full but even at that, I don't know that I'd be able to do 3 days from 645-5pm. I've looked for other courses but there aren't any in my area. I've even tried to find private instruction. How do you learn to ride in day anyway?
You don't. You learn to survive in a day.

If you want to learn to ride, l suggest you get a cheap dirt bike and go play.

As far as the schedule goes, you may need to take a day or two off of work. You know, get your priorities straight ;)

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
You might check to see if you can take an E-Rider--it replaces the classroom (half of the time of the course) with online study. Washington, Oregon and Idaho offer it--not sure about MSF providers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is already an online component that must be completed prior to doing the classroom and on bike portions. I don’t know if anybody offers the classroom part online. Plus, in my area, it looks like there are 2 classes-MSF at a local college and one at a Harley dealership. They pretty much work the same way. The dealership course may have slightly different hours but not much. In other parts of the state, there are private schools that offer instruction but not jere. I wish i could pay an instructor from maf to work with me on my own.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't. You learn to survive in a day.

If you want to learn to ride, l suggest you get a cheap dirt bike and go play. />
There are always plenty if used dirt bikes around. I could practice in my own yard, so nobody will see me screw up, unless I manage to crash through the fence

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,671 Posts
You might be surprised how often that happens, Mils

Reactions: Porky

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Nice part about dual-sports and dirt bikes is there durability and ease of service. Bend the bars? Replace them. Bend or brake a lever? Replace it. They also don't respond violently to throttle/brake inputs.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
There are always plenty if used dirt bikes around. I could practice in my own yard, so nobody will see me screw up, unless I manage to crash through the fence
Sounds like a good idea. Start off on the dirt bike. Do you have any vacation time coming up? Maybe you could take a street riding class then.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
Am I seeing things? I could have SWORN that I submitted a response to this Thread topic?

Please tell me that it wasn’t removed and I’m just old and forgetful!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I’m sure you did. Anyway, the Harley dealership doesn’t have anything til August. Their schedule is a little better. I’ll probably go there. I had bo idea so many people wanted to learn to ride. All the classes in my area are full well in advance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I guess I am in a similar situation to you.
Schedule for a course was difficult, I am not a 9 to 5 guy. Like most people when I am not working I have **** to do.

In the end I had to make my schedule fit a course. Starts on Tuesday. Took me a long time and a lot of putting it of till later to get to the point.
So if you really want to do it. Best thing to do is make the time. Or in my case decide to put something else off.

Long time ago. I bought a bike. Which the dealer would only deliver to a training center. It wasn’t a requirement. The dealer just would not sell me the bike without a course. No course. no bike. He also made sure. I had good boots gloves helmet and he gave me a deal on a jacket.
Even so I nearly hit someone on my way home from the course. Perhalps I should have read the free book on the rules of the road.

I practiced in the back yard. And front yard. Wrecked the lawn. And my dads roses. When I did this kind of thing. On my bycicle he would have had a fit.
This time he remained quite calm, didn’t say much while I continued. Pretty close to 40 years later. I am just going to do the course again.

Once I get the skills course done the restrictions will be removed and I will be able to ride alone. With no passenger. In daylight.
Course includes a couple of road rides.
I still won’t have a full licence. I will have a licence to start learning again. Not sure yet how my plan goes forward from there. I have my own yard and I’m a sure I will be able to find a parking lot.

Finding the right bike? Is the 64 thousand dollar question. I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
698 Posts
Can you still do the old fashion, go to the DMV take a written test and get a permit then some time later go back for a driving test? BTW I just signed up for my course today. Texas. 6-9 or 10 Friday, 645-5 pm Saturday and Sunday. Something online to complete and pass before you get there. It said motorcycle and all safety equipment provided.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts