Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I bought my dad's old bike about 2 months ago planning to get it running and start riding. I'm now at a point where I've run out of ideas to getting it running...

the bike is a 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan VN800A

fuel filter is good, petcock is good, fuel line is good, gas gets to the bowl of the carb, I just cleaned out the jets, and I know it can start up because if I spray starter fluid in or even just a couple drops of regular gas it'll kick over no problem and then it'll run just until whatever I sprayed or poured in is spent and then it cuts off again... from my limited knowledge about engines it seems to me like that means that gas isn't getting through the carb properly... but I don't know why it isn't getting through the carb because I've cleaned the carb and cleaned out the jets with a torch cleaner and at least to my knowledge that's how to gas gets from the bowl to the engine correct?

any ideas as to what I'm missing that might be the problem please help

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
There are a couple of threads with step by step instructions on carb cleaning. Start there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't suppose there's any clue to narrow down actually finding one of them? when I try to do a search there's hundreds of results that come up and most of them either don't have anything to do with what I need or they involve something along the lines of "there are instructions for cleaning carbs out there go find them"...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gas is getting to the bowl fine so I assume that means the petcock is working, that was one of the things I've replaced. And no I actually have no clue at all if the choke is working, this bike has a weird choke that, at least as best as I can figure out, doesn't stay open, and it seems like it gets held in place by the spring tention of the pull button... but I thought of something last night that I want to try... I wonder if maybe I have to have the air filter on in order for it to start... it seems like this carb the Jets coming from the bowl point out... which to me seems counter productive given that the goal is to get gas into the engine not into the atmosphere... unless it's supposed to mix with the air in the air filter and then come back in through one of the other hoses

·
Motorbike Macgyver
353 Posts
I have another idea. Check the idle adjustment and the mixture screws if there are any. I was given a carb with a mixture screw that was turned all the way in and was supposed to be a few turns out. Bike wouldn't run right till I adjusted it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the only thing that's adjustable as far as how it idles is the throttle, the air idle adjustment screw is set at the factory and then locked away I'd have to drill it out to get to it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My idea worked! :) had to fiddle with the throttle a little to get it to stay on but once I put the air filter and everything on it and tried a couple times it kicked over :)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Good news

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm stoked! now I just gotta get the inner tubes replaced, replace one of the rear turn signals (or remove them all), and get it insured and registered! and of course learn to ride it lol which kinda puts a damper on getting it somewhere to replace the inner tubes... but my roommate rides and my bike is bigger than his so I'm sure he would be more than happy to take my bike for a ride to get it fixed lol

:71baldboy:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They aren't completely flat they can hold air they are just old and when I got the bike they were flat so I figured I'd get the inner tubes replaced

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki Intruder 1400
320 Posts
They aren't completely flat they can hold air they are just old and when I got the bike they were flat so I figured I'd get the inner tubes replaced
Totally get new tires as well as tubes - if it has been sitting for more than 3 or 4 years the tires have probably aged out anyway. (Tires DO expire, something like 5 years or so after manufacture or something).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts