Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum as of yesterday. Wanting to find my way south this spring to get in some early riding and to warm up. I live and work north of the 56th parallel and today its -27C (-16F) with a windchill of -39C (-38F), which is actually kinda warm compared to some of the winter so far, haha!

Hoping to get whatever advice I can when planning my trips and possibly even have some people join me.

Last summer I rode my first bike, 2012 Yamaha V-Star 950, out to the Canadian Rockies, up the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper, and then shot back over to Manitoba.

After that trip I decided to upgrade my bike, so I traded in my trusty V-Star for a 2014 Suzuki M109r B.O.S.S. and needless to say, it's a whole 'nother beast!:biggrin:

Anyways, good to be here and look forward to talking to you guy and girls!

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Welcome from Ontario Canada! :)

Geez, -27C??!? It's a balmy -7C here right now, supposed to go to a blistering -5C by noon ;)

It sometimes really SUX being a Canadian motorcyclist :D

Glad you found this place, lots of smart friendly people here sharing a common obsession!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,129 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Canada

Hi from the left wet coast. Mostly stays above freezing out here. Just a few days at a time down to maybe minus 5 C.
The good riding starts at the BC side of the Rockies.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Our coldest day so far this year was around -15C. I do remember days when I lived in a suburb of Montreal when it got down to -40º back in the 1960s but that was rare even then.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Welcome 1985, from a fellow Manitoban! It is a bit warmer down here (-19C) but not warm enough to get the bike out yet. :(

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. It's a great place to at least talk about riding when you can't or don't want to ride due to weather. I can't imagine living somewhere that it gets that cold. BRRRR

Here in Missouri it's currently 34* and raining. The temp is supposed to fall and we're supposed to get freezing rain, sleet and some snow this afternoon.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

How long is the typical riding season up there?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum.

How long is the typical riding season up there?
Typically April to October... but that could change easily with the weather. I'm going through withdrawal up here lol. I'm planning an east coast trip for this summer, but hopefully will be able to ride well before that.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Wow, I've been checking out your Icefields Parkway. Absolutely beautiful!! We are hoping to make a trip to Glacier NP in the next couple years. We may just have to head up there to see it. I just love the Rockies!! They have some of the most beautiful sights North America has to offer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I've been checking out your Icefields Parkway. Absolutely beautiful!! We are hoping to make a trip to Glacier NP in the next couple years. We may just have to head up there to see it. I just love the Rockies!! They have some of the most beautiful sights North America has to offer.
I bought a GoPro specifically for that trip! If i get the video up on YouTube I'll post the link on here. If you want to avoid lots of traffic and tourists then stay away from going July and August. It is an amazing ride though! I need to do it again when I have more time.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Thanks for the tip. We'll remember to head north first and then back down thru Montana, Idaho and Utah.

When you get any of that ride on You Tube do post it up. There are several of us that love to see other places that we might want to ride.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Typically April to October... but that could change easily with the weather. I'm going through withdrawal up here lol.
Many of us are my friend! Suffering from severe P.M.S. (parked motorcycle syndrome) !!!!!!!!

I'm planning an east coast trip for this summer, but hopefully will be able to ride well before that.
If you are travelling the Trans Canada Highway through Manitoba, get in touch and I will meet you for a great meal (or at least coffee) in a little place called Richer. Might even ride with you through to Kenora, Ontario.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All this talk about planning trips has me wanting to go check on my bike in the dealer storage here in Montreal. A brisk -17˚ C this morning.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Md. -19 huh....and to think we are complaining in our Nations Capital that it's 24 degrees. No more complaint from me.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts