Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I was just wondering if you could ride your bike too much, my ride is a semi restored 1970 Honda trail 90. I will be riding it on the dirt near my house, that means lots of steep trails, rocks and gravel. I also plan on using it for long distance camping trips along with the occasional jack rabbit or coyote hunting trip. Is that too much?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Occasional tennis elbow in my clutch arm...
Numb butt after 8 hours on the new bike...
Spaghetti legs and shaky knees after several hours on the 48...

Yeah, you can ride a bike too much...
...or is that just getting older?

:biggrin:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If you get seriously injured or killed riding your motorcycle, then yes, you rode it just the slightest bit too much.

But hey, don't let that stop you from riding it as much as you can.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
IMO there is no such thing as riding too much. My bike averages about 12k miles each year and my cage averages less than 3000. We get snow and ice on the roads around here or my cage miles would be less than half that number.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hi everyone! I was just wondering if you could ride your bike too much, my ride is a semi restored 1970 Honda trail 90. I will be riding it on the dirt near my house, that means lots of steep trails, rocks and gravel. I also plan on using it for long distance camping trips along with the occasional jack rabbit or coyote hunting trip. Is that too much?
I think the only way to kill an old Honda is by not riding it.
That thing will take anything you dish out.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I just rode 2200 miles in 8 days. Great rides and times, but I don't even want to look at it today. I am riding Thursday though

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I think you could ride one too much in one day....
But ride one too much in a lifetime.... Never.
How much is too much in a day? I have ridden mine over 600 miles, checked in at a motel and then taken the bike out to get my supper. I knew I would need to ride out to get supper but I had no doubt I would enjoy it. I just asked for suggestions from the local at the front desk about where to eat and then jumped on the bike to get there. My Garmin got me back to the motel after supper.

·
On The Road Again!
3,405 Posts
I can't ride my Trail 90 enough.
The original owner put 5000 miles on it in 35 years.
I put another 4000 on it in three years.
In fact, I just put 71 miles on it yesterday, Sunday,
exploring all the back roads of Somerset County here in NJ.

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts
--

My first year riding, when I got back into it about six years ago, I rode about 24,000 miles. I loved the riding, but there were some consequences.

The biggest problem was the wind on my face all the time dried out my nasal passages and created a nosebleed situation where the insides had to be cauterized. I nearly bled to death one time. Being in the wind without a full face shield has that potential side effect.

The second thing is constant exposure to the sun. I have had face and arm problems (no need to go into details) from years of sun exposure. Riding without complete sun protection can cause cancer problems.

If you are aware of these problems, and correct them, then you can eliminate those from your list of concerns.

--

1 - 20 of 28 Posts