Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi out there. It's bike week in Daytona.My 82 gs1100e with a 4 in to one pipe(Basoni,spell ck.) with a cleaned carb and K\N pods .160 air jet,127.5 main jet,145 pilot jet is done. HOWEVER my air screw is 6 and 1/2 out. Is this a big deal?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,849 Posts
It sounds like a lot. What do the pipes look like? Have you pulled the plugs and checked them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New plugs have not check yet. Bike has not left my garage yet . Wait on a clutch cable. I have been working on get quick trottle response. And by turn out I have that now.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
6 1/2 is waaay out. Most of the time you should be in the neighborhood of 1 1/2 or 2. Sumptin' ain't right.

Did it run well before with the current set up you've described? Are you sure it is an air mixture screw and not a fuel mixture screw? Air mixture screws are on the air filter side and fuel mixture screws are on the engine side of the carbs. They accomplish the same thing, but indicate a different problem when you have to have them backed out so far. The carbs will be fitted with one or the other, not both. If it is a fuel mixture screw you've got clogged pilot jets. Probably. If it is an air mix screw you've got extra fuel getting in somehow. Float valves stuck open is about all I can think of but you'd have a big pool of gas under the bike from the overflow tubes coming out of each carb. Unless some bright spark has crimped those off to "fix" the leak. I've seen bikes that have had this done and it always makes me cringe when folks fix things by breaking stuff off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The screw that is turn out is on the engine side of carb.
Maybe bigger jets? Or have ignition checked. I like to do these things myself.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
That would be a fuel mixture screw then. Turning it out makes the bike more rich at lower throttle settings. Having it turned out that far means the bike, as it is set up is running lean.

Before anyone can advise you on what to do, you need to give some details about it.

Did you just install the pipe?

If so, was it running properly prior to this?

Were the pipes installed previously and it was running fine up until recently?

If so, your carb is due a serious cleaning.

Did you just receive the bike in its current state of tune and it has always run like this in your possession?

If so your carbs need cleaning and you need to verify it is jetted in a fashion compatible with the pipe.

Jetting it appropriately requires a bit of knowledge, general to the concept of aspiration of a motorcycle and specific to the bike an the particular pipe it is currently wearing. Any changes to the intake need to be taken into consideration as well. An air filter that is more free flowing or modifications to the airbox can affect tuning and need to be taken into consideration.

What, specifically, is meant by "cleaned carb?" There are many ways to approach this, but only a few are the correct way. Spraying some degreaser on them and then hosing off isn't the way to clean them. Likewise poking bits of wire through the orifices in the carb isn't the best way. Specific cleaning agents (these can be very toxic, ventilate the area and protect your skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. They need to be removed from the bike, taken apart (paying attention to detail so they can be reassembled exactly as they came apart is important.

You also need to be certain the intake tract doesn't have holes in it so that more air is getting sucked into the works. Unfiltered air not only makes a bike run lean, debris can enter with air through an intake leak.

What you want to avoid doing is buying stuff to fix what you think might be wrong with it. Clean it thoroughly, assemble it and establish that no parts are deteriorated and leaking or otherwise changing mixture . And then start diagnosing systematically until you nail down the fault.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Is your pilot jet really a 145? Seems really huge - stock was 45 when I looked it up. 6.5 turns also seems like a lot, but that's just a gut reaction - it may work.

Good questions above. I would make sure everything is absolutely clean as it should be. Making pods work on bikes with CV carbs can be difficult.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
The K&N pods will usually make the bike lean, especially if the exhaust does a better job of scavenging, and you also remove the stock air filter box(es); if those are the stock size jets, then you may need to increase the fuel jets. You may also need to change the position of the jet needle on the CV piston, raising it a bit, to let more fuel through in the intermediate throttle range. Fresh plugs and throttle chops will be needed to evaluate jetting, if you don't have access to a dyno with a good exhaust analyzer.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
"Can you out screw your bike"

You'd have to ask my GF.

I usually get screwed the worst at the parts counter...

·
lost
1,106 Posts
"Can you out screw your bike"

You'd have to ask my GF.

I usually get screwed the worst at the parts counter...
Genuine LOL. Loads of discount OEM part sources on the interwebby. However, a good shop may be a source for good info. It may be of enough value to justify paying higher prices for parts than they can be found on the net (no shipping fees either). YMMV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bad

Is your pilot jet really a 145? Seems really huge - stock was 45 when I looked it up. 6.5 turns also seems like a lot, but that's just a gut reaction - it may work.

Good questions above. I would make sure everything is absolutely clean as it should be. Making pods work on bikes with CV carbs can be difficult.
The air jet is a 45. This bike carb was cleaned very throughly. The running condition before the clean up was junk. Backfiring , bad idle. When I got into the carbs the mixture screw was turned all in. That explains the junk condition. That being said the bike seems to like the cleaning and having the mix screw turned out. Now when I lift off the throttle the revs slow instantly. Plugs are cheap if that is the worst to happen.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
really thoughoughly?
any mucking around done in a carb had better be done with kit gloves, if you used the wrong size cleaning tool, you can oversize the built in jets and cause the engine to pop and snort... but some guys like it that way!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts