Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have been looking around for a while trying to find a particular style of jacket but have had no luck. This is the type of jacket that I am looking for.

Basically I am wanting a jacket with thick leather, plenty of shoulder and arm padding, elasticated through the sides, waist padding, and waist belt.

Does anyone know of a company that either sells or makes this style?

I am not looking for this exact jacket as I know this Akira one was a one off custom.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
If you have the bucks, and are willing to wait, you could go to any leather shop and ask them to "custom" make it for ya!

-Soupy

·
6,491 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are lots of sites in Google search like the ones above.

I would go to a big Harley Davidson dealer as they are famous for high quality leather jackets and other products but be prepared to pay the price for quality.
See this is where I have been having issues. I have looked at both those sites as well as most that come up in google and none offer that style. Maybe they could custom make it but before I spend the cost to have one hand made, I would like to see if someone has it as a production model.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it were "me," I'd try and contact the maker of the Jacket that is in the picture, and find out if they would (or "do") make one without the graphics (I'm making the assumption that you like the style of jacket, but don't want the graphics shown).

-Soupy
I have actually tried that but the company that made this jacket is in Japan and not only do the employees speak very little English, they have also not given me any kind of hint that they would be willing to even ship me a jacket let alone make one.

It was made by Kadoya which is an extremely well known and respected leather maker in that part of the world.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Well, I guess you'd have to put up with the artwork, if you want the jacket. The "artwork" is not a bad message. In fact it is a very GOOD message (if that means anything to ya).

-soupy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I hate it.
Its like something from the 60s & Ace Cafe'.
Why would you want a jacket, that as soon as you lean over your bike, and it starts to rain, the rain runs straight into your underpants ?
Give me a good 3/4 any day.
Guess im gettin too old.
just my $ 1; worth ( compensating for inflation )

:71baldboy:
Take Care Out There !

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I primarily wear armored textile 3/4 length jackets. My current main jacket is by Roadgear, and only cost me $180 a few years ago including the zip-in lining. A 3/4 length jacket not only keeps the rain out of your underwear, it keeps your midsection much more comfortable on cold days. I do have a heavy vented leather jacket from FirstGear (I don't think they make leather ones anymore) that cost me a lot when I bought it over 20 years ago (about $500) and has been through a major road accident 15 years ago that merely scuffed some of the leather. My weight gain doesn't allow me to wear it with the liner anymore, but without the liner I can still get into it, and it works as well as it did when I bought in about 1991 (no armor, however). In addition to LeatherUp, you might try Revzilla.com for a good selection, but not custom made leather. Harley Davidson makes some fine jackets, but you have to be willing to display their logo and pay dearly for the right to have that logo (not for me).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hate it.
Its like something from the 60s & Ace Cafe'.
Why would you want a jacket, that as soon as you lean over your bike, and it starts to rain, the rain runs straight into your underpants ?
Give me a good 3/4 any day.
Guess im gettin too old.
just my $ 1; worth ( compensating for inflation )

:71baldboy:
Take Care Out There !
Well now, :icon_cool: DUH :icon_cool: Don't wear underpants and they wont get wet. :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Nicely put ,Vito.
Im guessing Darko 9989 is a young guy, who at present, knows nothing about the joys of Arthritis & Rheumatism.
Or mebbe he just rides on Sunny days ?
Unlike us ,who had to put skis & chains on our bikes, to get to work !
On reflection; The Good Old Days, wern't that good , after all !
When you didn't buy the coffee, to drink, but to warm your hands !
:biggrin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nicely put ,Vito.
Im guessing Darko 9989 is a young guy, who at present, knows nothing about the joys of Arthritis & Rheumatism.
Or mebbe he just rides on Sunny days ?
Unlike us ,who had to put skis & chains on our bikes, to get to work !
On reflection; The Good Old Days, wern't that good , after all !
When you didn't buy the coffee, to drink, but to warm your hands !
:biggrin:
I am a younger guy but that has nothing to do with me wanting this jacket. I have different gear for different types of riding. I have full gore-tex gear for when I want to put some heavy miles on my bikes but I also have some short range classic sportbikes that I love to ride. This jacket is for the sunny days that I want to take a shorter sportbike ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I primarily wear armored textile 3/4 length jackets. My current main jacket is by Roadgear, and only cost me $180 a few years ago including the zip-in lining. A 3/4 length jacket not only keeps the rain out of your underwear, it keeps your midsection much more comfortable on cold days. I do have a heavy vented leather jacket from FirstGear (I don't think they make leather ones anymore) that cost me a lot when I bought it over 20 years ago (about $500) and has been through a major road accident 15 years ago that merely scuffed some of the leather. My weight gain doesn't allow me to wear it with the liner anymore, but without the liner I can still get into it, and it works as well as it did when I bought in about 1991 (no armor, however). In addition to LeatherUp, you might try Revzilla.com for a good selection, but not custom made leather. Harley Davidson makes some fine jackets, but you have to be willing to display their logo and pay dearly for the right to have that logo (not for me).
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at most of these sites and while they have a great selection, none of them offer this style. If I can't find this one, I will be purchasing one from a shop like Revzilla. As for the Harley logos....no thanks.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Back in the day l had this basic jacket in black leather, the padding was exactly the same for all intents and purposes. I had bought it at Wilson's leather, which is now out of business, unfortunately. Sold it after l crashed the bike :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a new one that is similar

This one might actually be the same one l had
I actually own the one that you said is similar. It is indeed very similar in style but the jacket in the picture that I am wanting is a much more substantial leather. That Wilson's one is a nice mid-weight leather but I am wanting a thick leather for my next purchase.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts