Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just planning waaaaay ahead and wondering: if I buy a bike in the dead of winter (I'm assuming that I may get a good deal then), obviously I won't be able to ride it then but the warranty (1 yr in most cases I assume) would start. Has anyone tried successfully to have the dealership/brand delay the warranty's start until you actually ride the bike? Seems silly if I buy in Dec and have to wait until Apr to actually ride, thereby wasting 4 out of 12 mths' warranty already.

Any hope in this suggestion?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
So you start riding in Apr..........Dec-next Apr is under warranty but not being ridden.

You get the bike home(warranty starts in Apr) and Mar rolls around, you can't take it anymore and you go out to start the bike just to listen to it run......suddenly oil starts pouring out the bottom of the bike......do you expect the dealer to fix it?

I really doubt there is any way around having the warranty start at date of purchase......but I'm sure he'll be happy to sell you an extra year.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
^^This. I did this with my Victory. I "bought" it in late January, but didn't do the final paperwork until I picked it up in late April.
Any dealership worth it's salt should work with you in this

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Is a one year warranty common with many new bikes? I know that my current bike has a TWO year, unlimited mileage warranty, and to the best of my recollection that was the case with the last several bikes that I bought (Triumph, Honda and Kawasaki). While I would hate to "waste" a few months of warranty coverage while unable to ride in the winter, I would feel worse if I bought a new bike but didn't arrange to take possession until April, and then a few unexpectedly warm days occur in Feb or March and sadly I would be unable to get the new bike for a spin.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Yes, definitely talk to the dealer about taking delivery at the start of riding season. Tell them specifically that you don't want the warranty coverage to start until then. You'll either put down a deposit, or pay for the bike in full, but not take delivery until riding season starts. People do this all the time, it is common place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts