Motorcycle Forum banner

Can I use a jack under my oil pan?

16K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  RonK 
#1 ·
I'm needing to raise my bike back up, which requires taking pressure off the suspension and I need to jack it up. The only stable spots under the bike are the bottom of the oil pan, or on the center stand brackets, other than that, there is the mount for the rear suspension spring.

Will i be ok by jacking it up on the oil pan?

#4 ·
It's a gs500f '08
I had tried using blocks of wood before but the nuts wouldn't budge. Not sure if its because they were rusted over or what. I was suspending the bike at the bottom of the rear suspension link. It was a pain in the ass though. I'll try the oil pan idea and use wood blocks to spread the weight out.

#5 ·
--

In addition to boards, you may want to use some rags in the spots where the boards don't touch to spread the weight out further. The sides of the pan will be stronger than the middle.

If you need to use some force and you can't get under too well, you can lean the bike on its side somewhat against a sturdy support and have access to the bottom from an angle.

--

#6 ·
My CBR929 was virtually impossible to jack because of all the tupperware, exhaust pipes directly under the engine, etc.

So I borrowed an engine hoist and used a sling. Zero chance of it falling over or off the jack no matter how much force I needed to apply to something.

#17 ·
Since you seem to have some stuck bolts I have a few suggestions.

1) try using a cheater bar on your wrench or socket..this is a 2 foot or so length of pipe, you use it to extend the handle of your wrench to give yourself more leverage. You can go longer if need be..I recently set a personal record... using 12 foot! cheater bar made of 2 inch steel pipe on a 3 foot long pipe wrench to break loose some 30 year old 4 inch threaded iron pipe fittings here at work. I was standing on top of a big tank, had a helper on the ground with the other end at the wrench, it looked crazy but it worked!

2) Use a 6 point type socket, not a 12..this makes it much harder to strip the head of the bolt.

3) Get a helper to hammer on the wrench in the same direction that your pulling, often the shock will knock it loose.

4) Beg, borrow, or rent an electric ( or pneumatic if you have air) impact wrench ( the thing you see used to take car wheel nuts off), this will remove most stuck hardware easily.

Good Luck!!!

#20 ·
Oh shoot, I think I'm going to buy a torque wrench for general purpose throughout my bike and car, and I'll get the impact wrench if I can't get enough torque from my muscles using an extension bar. Thanks for the help, I'll report back once this is resolved.

#25 ·
The more I read... the more I think the OP should either:
A. Leave this to a pro.
or
B. Get someone that knows what they are doing to assist, and learn something.

Obtaining help is not a bad thing. Years ago, I met a 20-year HD mechanic that got tired of the politico BS at the dealership he worked at and quit, and moved to the north woods, where he loved to be, and went to work for a school bus garage. He had 3 lifts and a tire machine in his pole barn, a friend introduced us. At first, I took my bikes to him for work, but soon, he told me any time I wasn't doing anything, I was welcome to hang around his shop. I took him up on it. He taught me a LOT about working on bikes, I already had a mechanical background from working with my Dad, and working in the oilpatch, but I was always intimidated by motorcycles, until he showed me the ropes, so to speak.

NOT trying to be an ass... but the OP has demonstrated, to me at least, his lack of mechanical knowledge.

#26 ·
And the thing about a lack of mechanical knowledge, especially when you're working on a bike, is that it can kill you. :)

Example: If you don't know what a torque wrench does, you probably aren't quite there as far as knowing how to properly tighten your axle bolts so as not to effect bearing end play and not cause your wheels to lock up when you're going down the road and spill you onto the pavement. Like others have suggested, get a little help, at least the first time.

If not, please do make sure you wear a Go-Pro so we can get put the crash on You Tube.

#27 ·
No i understand a torque wrench ... I u derstand how an impact wrench delivers the higher torque. I understand all of these things. My lack of knowledge is just In regards to motorcycles. I have used a torque wrench over 1000 TIMES in my 3 months working in an engineering firm. I am a mech. Engineer . My focus was not in vehicles or any subtopics such as dynamics. I am doing this the correct method, and safe method, something is just hanging up. I mean there are youtube videos everywhere of people doing it that I've watched. I know how this process of raising the bike works. Just saying, I'm not a complete goon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.