Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a custom Suzuki gn 125 07. It is a beautiful piece with the frame cut and rewelded as a cafe racer. However, they haven't made the gn model for 13 years, making parts to source a bit tricky.

I want to replace pretty much all the wiring. Can I pick a bike with the same engine and simply wire it up as a different model of Suzuki? I'm not sure what model shares the engine but I can find out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Might be easier to simply build your own harness , one wire at a time .

Anything from another bike will undoubtedly have different connectors in different places , so , you'd likely end up with a mess .

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with PD. You could replace a lot of the wire yourself. It is possible to remove the pins from any connectors that are good so you can attach new wire and reuse them. You may be into the same state buying a used harness at this point. It isn't so much finding one without damage - it is finding one that the insulation hasn't gone brittle on you. It will only lead to cracking and short circuits later. Installing fresh wire and taking your time would be the long term solution.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Start with the original wiring schematic diagram and use that to build your custom wire harness. Now you even have a wiring diagram and you have accommodated all of the components that need to be there to make the bike work.
It's always best economically to incorporate as much of the original hardware as possible.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, the wire lengths on bike using same engine will commonly be wildly varying in lengths, you can shorten what is too long but lengthening too short ones is butcher work. Use what you have and simply rebuild it, not any harder than what you propose.

From somebody who wires up race cars as well as computer ones like used now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts