Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im new around here, hope to get some help :crying:.

Yesterday got a big puncture on my rear tire, which is on a tread. Is that fixable? hole its about 5mm, as I know, it should not be larger than 6.3mm (1/4"). I would prefer fix it by myself since Im not able to ride the bike to the tire shop. Any opinion/advice? thanks.

Attachments

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Wow, that's a good size one. Hate to say it and as cheap as I am I would probably replace the tire. Who knows what the steel cords of the tire look like there.

I would plug it to get myself home, but wouldn't be comfortable riding it like that for extended periods.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
Yes you can plug it, would I no. You only have two tires under you when riding, if you lose one things get dramatic immediately. Tires are cheaper than skin grafts and setting broken bones, or worse.

·
Ace Tuner
3,489 Posts
Can I plug this tire?

Yes, but there is NO SAFE way to do it.

So let me rephrase that, No.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno, I think that I simply will patch it and use it for a while until buying a new one, and of course i wont ride too fast as a safety concern.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I dunno, I think that I simply will patch it and use it for a while until buying a new one, and of course i wont ride too fast as a safety concern.
Keep in mind that cycle tires are subjected to much higher stresses, in general, than car tires are. A few miles at moderate speeds is probably safe but how long until you forget or get in a situation where a lot of throttle is required? I know that in my younger days, I might have been willing to test that limit but not so much anymore.

Oh, just thought of this - Use that tire to practice your sweet "burnout skillz"! Then you've legitimately used it for a purpose and have a reason to go ahead and buy a new one!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Patching it is like using your spare tire on your car. You know, one of those doughnut tires, which is too small. Just because you literally can drive down the road with it, doesn't mean that it's a proper tire. It looks quite worn anyway. Plug it if you wish, we can't stop you, but I recommend only using that to get it to where you're replacing the tire.

...like I said, it's a better metaphor to a crappy spare which you can't count on and is meant for temporary use only. Should I tell you how much I've seen customers come in on the rim of the spare? That's a lot more money in your case because then you'd need a new wheel.

I've asked motorcycle shops about repairing tires. Their answer? I don't do it and you shouldn't either. They're the pro's. I wasn't in the need of repair, I was just wanting to learn.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have just patched it, I asked a neighbor for a repairing kit, and I got lucky, got one. I have never before patched a tubeless tire, but saw a youtube video, and found it pretty easy to do. I finally ended very happy with the result, it seems and feels very trustworthy, those pretty damn rubber sticks are pretty awesome, I simply can't imagine my plug patch getting out.

Attachments

·
Ace Tuner
3,489 Posts
Wow, that's a good size one. Hate to say it and as cheap as I am I would probably replace the tire. Who knows what the steel cords of the tire look like there.

I would plug it to get myself home, but wouldn't be comfortable riding it like that for extended periods.
Yes you can plug it, would I no. You only have two tires under you when riding, if you lose one things get dramatic immediately. Tires are cheaper than skin grafts and setting broken bones, or worse.
Can I plug this tire?

Yes, but there is NO SAFE way to do it.

So let me rephrase that, No.
Keep in mind that cycle tires are subjected to much higher stresses, in general, than car tires are. A few miles at moderate speeds is probably safe but how long until you forget or get in a situation where a lot of throttle is required? I know that in my younger days, I might have been willing to test that limit but not so much anymore.

Oh, just thought of this - Use that tire to practice your sweet "burnout skillz"! Then you've legitimately used it for a purpose and have a reason to go ahead and buy a new one!
Patching it is like using your spare tire on your car. You know, one of those doughnut tires, which is too small. Just because you literally can drive down the road with it, doesn't mean that it's a proper tire. It looks quite worn anyway. Plug it if you wish, we can't stop you, but I recommend only using that to get it to where you're replacing the tire.

...like I said, it's a better metaphor to a crappy spare which you can't count on and is meant for temporary use only. Should I tell you how much I've seen customers come in on the rim of the spare? That's a lot more money in your case because then you'd need a new wheel.

I've asked motorcycle shops about repairing tires. Their answer? I don't do it and you shouldn't either. They're the pro's. I wasn't in the need of repair, I was just wanting to learn.
Well, we tried.... :crying:

·
Ace Tuner
3,489 Posts
I have just patched it, I asked a neighbor for a repairing kit, and I got lucky, got one. I have never before patched a tubeless tire, but saw a youtube video, and found it pretty easy to do. I finally ended very happy with the result, it seems and feels very trustworthy, those pretty damn rubber sticks are pretty awesome, I simply can't imagine my plug patch getting out.
You don't have to or need to imagine it... It has happened and riders have ended up dead.
We stopped using the plug/patch system (best and "safest") repair because the worst way to lose a customer is to do something that gets them killed.
I could explain how it happens but........

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
Famous last words. Hope it works for you but the tire is near needing replaced as is. Your skin your life. Ride safe.:surprise:

·
Very Famous Person
10,002 Posts
--

I have plugged many tires over the years. Only a couple times on a bike. I've found that a small round hole seems to get filled up pretty well if you used lots of glue. You'll know if it works if there are no leaks. I just did a patch in the tread on my fairly new tire that didn't hold. The reason was that it was near the center of where the carcass is pretty stiff and trying to make the hole big enough to get the plug in actually cracked the rubber and made the hole a worse crack about an inch long. Had to junk the tire.

Unfortunately I hadn't put in any Ride_On sealant in that new from the factory tire. It might have sealed well enough so when I removed the small screw, it might have stopped it up right there.

--

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
The manufacturer of Ride-On suggest unscrewing a screw rather than pulling it straight out I believe. I can see why that might be true but haven't tried it myself. Last hole I got was from a bolt or something in the quarter inch size. Too large to seal or plug. Darn hole was huge.:sad: No further comments needed.:grin:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As ronk mentioned, putting enough glue is the key, so the rubber plug merges both parts and expands, which is beneficent specially from inside. I am pretty sure that one can do a better job taking off the tire in order to directly work from inside part, there you will be able to mold the plug making it bigger than the hole diameter, making it a lot more difficult to unplug.

·
Very Famous Person
10,002 Posts
^ And there you go again...
More motorcycle tire wisdom, Ron style. :surprise:
--

Not sure what you're implying. I gave an account of what I've done. I haven't suggested you do anything. After 60 years of plugging holes in all kinds of tires, some experience is acquired. :kiss:

--

·
Very Famous Person
10,002 Posts
The manufacturer of Ride-On suggest unscrewing a screw rather than pulling it straight out I believe. I can see why that might be true but haven't tried it myself. Last hole I got was from a bolt or something in the quarter inch size. Too large to seal or plug. Darn hole was huge.:sad: No further comments needed.:grin:
--

Sometimes we don't really know how well a sealant works since if it's good enough, nothing happens. In my last screw hole, I did in fact unscrew it. It was really short and must have been just barely into the inside. Probably would have held if I'd had the Ride_On. What's really onerous are the invisible cactus spine holes from desert running in an ATV. You usually can't find them so your choice is to get a new tire, or put Slime in them and try to rotate it all around the inside of the tire. Most of the time I've done that I've at least slowed down the time before deflation.

--

·
Very Famous Person
10,002 Posts
As ronk mentioned, putting enough glue is the key, so the rubber plug merges both parts and expands, which is beneficent specially from inside. I am pretty sure that one can do a better job taking off the tire in order to directly work from inside part, there you will be able to mold the plug making it bigger than the hole diameter, making it a lot more difficult to unplug.
--

One main point of the plugs is that it's a repair that can be done on the side of the road anywhere there's room if you have a tubeless tire and repair essentials. That can get you to a repair station or bide time until a new tire can replace it if you choose so. I would not be able to open a tire on the road. :sad:

--

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,504 Posts
Plugged some and was successful and some that was not. Every one of them that failed was when I was the worse off to afford to buy another tire. It sucks but this strip plugs reaally dont work well at all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm following along a bit here as I've had no success patching a motorcycle tire, but I also ride motorcycles with inner tubes. They change shape drastically with pressure making a patch impossible.

If it wasn't an inner tube, and if it's not that different then a car tire, then I'd say holes are repairable as long as they are smaller than the patch.

Shops generally refuse to do outside of the tire repairs. They prefer to open the tire up and put a patch on which includes an appropriate sized plug. These come in two sizes. If the hole is too small for the plug/patch combination make it bigger, if it's too big then replacement is the only option.

But what do I know, I do this for cager transport as a pro, not for freedom rides, lol.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts