Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at frog togs, but a friend said they might be a bit large for riding and get in the wat. Anyone use this while riding? I have a nice jacket with a waterproof liner, but if it's really wet and cold it's going to make me cold when I'm moving fast.

I already have armored waterproof pants, just looking for something nice that fits over a jacket in cold wet weather and doesn't cost too much.

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
I've had good luck with the Frogg Toggs. My jacket has a hood you can put up before pulling your helmet on, so rain doesn't run down your neck; also makes riding a LOT warmer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you should get one thats larger then regular because when you sit, you want the back area to come up more so water doesnt get in and also when you sit, you need more length to cover your shoes.

·
American Legion Rider
25,892 Posts
Frogg Togg's work well in light to moderate rain but in heavy rain you need more. Don't worry too much about size as they do size them to go over jackets. You'll not get a suggestion of just one brand though because they all work fairly well in light rain and that's what most ride in if they ride at all in rain. You'll have to pay good money for rain gear that works in heavy rain. I thought there was a thread about rain gear here already but maybe that was somewhere else at any rate I watched my top gear fail and my wife's work extremely well keeping her completely dry recently. I don't remember what brand mine was as they were very old but my wife's was from Can-Am. Expensive as I say but dry is worth it. I now have some myself but have yet to put them to test over my big belly.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have had the Tourmaster Sentinel 2.0 jacket for several years and have ridden with it in some real frog stranglers. It's relatively easy to get on over my leather jacket and is absolutely waterproof. The only downside is that the built-in stuff sack zipper broke because it's so hard to stuff the jacket back into the pouch. I just found a slightly bigger bag to store it in. I would recommend the high-viz version.

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
I guess it depends on which version of Frogg Toggs you get; we rode in a real frog-choker south of Republic, MO, and the only damp I got was from me, not the rain. It only lasted about 1/2 hour or so, so that's a factor, too.

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
My wife uses Frog Toggs, they keep her dry. The are very meltable though, make sure you put the Smokin' Toad ( love the name) heatproof patch where you might touch your pipes or they will melt a hole instantly. They are a thick material and don't pack all that small but look like good quality that should last.

I wear a set of Victory branded rain gear I snagged at 70% off, it's a thinner lighter material but works extremely well, I stay bone dry in any weather and it came with heatproof material on the lower legs already. I doubt you can still get them but maybe the Indian stuff ( still Polaris ) is the same thing? They look the same as some Harley rain gear too, probably the same company makes them for all of them.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I use a two piece Frogg Toggs Highway Toadz suit. It's thin and compact when stored, yet easily fits over my clothing when needed. If you commute and think you'll be using a rain suit often, then I would spend more money, though. This Highway Toadz is excellent for now and then use, and keeps me dry, but I would want something more robust for long term everyday use.

·
Registered
501 Posts
FortNine discusses Frogg Toggs in a recent video about rain gear. He makes some good points about how they have some major advantages.

Search for FortNine on rain gear. It's the 8 November video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Frogg Toggs are great for keeping dry. Also, they block the wind nicely. However, there is one tiny problem... not so much the jacket, but the pants. If you brush up against your hot pipes they'll instantly melt like a grilled cheese sandwich and leave a black sticky goo all over your chrome. Not to mention the hole that lets in all that rain you're trying to keep out. This happened to me twice! The first time I sewed a patch of leather over the hole in the left leg to protect it, but wouldn't you know, the second time I bumped the pipes with my right leg. Yea, they'll work, but you have to be super diligent and aware that the slightest heat source will trash them when you dismount.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm looking at frog togs, but a friend said they might be a bit large for riding and get in the wat. Anyone use this while riding? I have a nice jacket with a waterproof liner, but if it's really wet and cold it's going to make me cold when I'm moving fast.

I already have armored waterproof pants, just looking for something nice that fits over a jacket in cold wet weather and doesn't cost too much.
I have a pair of Frog Toggs and like them. I believe the specific model I have are called Road Toads. They work well and breath somewhat. I burned a hole in the left leg riding my previous bike (Suzuki C50). The part covering the calf flopped against the exhaust. I patched the hole with muffler tape on the outside and duct tape on the inside. No problems since although I think the manufacturer has since produced a patch kit for such a situation. No problem with my Vaquero which has the exhaust running low on both sides.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts