Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My pops is 86 years old and in assisted living now. He can't recall the Ducati he once bought new back in 1967, and I'm not completely sure what model it was. All I have is a photo of him posing for a photo on it in 1967. I think I've narrowed it down to either a Bronco or a Monza...250 or 350? It has a multi-sided headlamp case which I remember as a kid, thinking it was an odd shape. This bike was the first bike I ever rode on at 12 years old. After that, I couldn't wait 4 more years to get on the road myself! Take a look at the photo and see if you can identify the bike for me. Much appreciated!

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Has this image been mirrored? Everything on the bike looks like it's on the wrong side in this image. That looks exactly like a Monza 250, except as I said the image appears mirrored. The tank, tank decals, and side cover decals all say Monza.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has this image been mirrored? Everything on the bike looks like it's on the wrong side in this image. That looks exactly like a Monza 250, except as I said the image appears mirrored. The tank, tank decals, and side cover decals all say Monza.
Great point. It must be. I've been checking all the ducs I could find on line, and all I can narrow it down to is the Monza. I couldn't make out the "Monza" on it, and wasn't sure of the CC. Thanks!

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried checking photos. Odd Exhaust appears on the left, kick starter on the right? Tank MAY have Monza shape?
Can't see a bevel drive tower?
I think Lurch hit the nail on the head...image is reversed somehow. The bike was new, and he never had any mods done to it. Good eye.:smile:

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I should note when I said the decals "say" Monza, I mean they indicate it. Looking at the '67 Monza pics online, all the shapes, colors, and designs of the body and decals match. I'd put my next paycheck on it being the Monza, which was a 250cc bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your dad has the Steve McQueen cool factor down pat. In fact, he may have it down better than Steve. Looks like a sporty watch, a cigarette and some nice tennis shoes and a pair of jeans that would style today and the white T-shirt and a Ducati!

I had a Ducati 350, circa early to mid 70s and I think that is a Monza 250.

I wish Ducati would reintroduce some mid size thumpers, of course today by midsize I mean a 450-700 range, a light and nimble chassis with some cool retro look.

J

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
Kick starter and watch on right hand side. One cable from right bar, two from left. Should be the other way around. That would put the watch and kick starter on the left. The kick starter could be a useful clue. BMW and Vespa had them on the left. Guzzi too I think.

UK

·
Registered
21 Posts
Genuine Scooter has a 400cc British retro look bike based on a Honda from the Euro/Asian market. Was produced in Chinese factory. After Honda discontinued bike it was sold in Europe as the Mash.
Improved chasis, tires, brakes, fuel injection.
Out or soon will be.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your dad has the Steve McQueen cool factor down pat. In fact, he may have it down better than Steve. Looks like a sporty watch, a cigarette and some nice tennis shoes and a pair of jeans that would style today and the white T-shirt and a Ducati!

I had a Ducati 350, circa early to mid 70s and I think that is a Monza 250.

I wish Ducati would reintroduce some mid size thumpers, of course today by midsize I mean a 450-700 range, a light and nimble chassis with some cool retro look.

J

Bet you'd like to have your old duc today! Wish he kept that little thumper and his son had it now. ;) Yeah, I get a hoot out of his garb back then. And no helmet!

·
Registered
166 Posts
That print was made from a 35mm slide. If the OP still has the slide all he need do is flip it around and all will be right including the ghosting will go away. Maybe few of you guys did not any film photography but the film of choice was Kodachrome 64 in that era and that looks like Kodachrome to me.

Much like the day music died and CDs killed off LPs, now LPs are back and CDs are gone so too I think in due course there may be a film revival.

I also note that unlike most men today, he has no belly, that is what gives it away as not being current and the lack of tats. Dude's dad is quite dapper on that sporty little Duke.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That print was made from a 35mm slide. If the OP still has the slide all he need do is flip it around and all will be right including the ghosting will go away. Maybe few of you guys did not any film photography but the film of choice was Kodachrome 64 in that era and that looks like Kodachrome to me.

Much like the day music died and CDs killed off LPs, now LPs are back and CDs are gone so too I think in due course there may be a film revival.

I also note that unlike most men today, he has no belly, that is what gives it away as not being current and the lack of tats. Dude's dad is quite dapper on that sporty little Duke.
Just wow there 3crows! Now that you mentioned slides, my paternal grandfather was a Minolta man, and was very much into his camera. Did the (often boring) slide presentations after returning from trips, etc. And even though I was not there, I know that the photo was taken just outside the entrance to my grandfather's cabin property. Soooo...you must be right on the mark. He had to have taken the photo. I was surprised to have never seen it in my youth. Thanks for the comments about my pops. He's still around at 86, in poor health, but he was quite the wild and crazy guy when younger. Raced miniature hydros, boxed, artist, and semi-pro water skier...among many other things. We took MC trips together until he crashed and quit riding at age 77. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.