Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, before you start in with, that's not what they are made for. I get it, I know they are touring bikes.* I understand that also I'm*not condoning*illegal racing of any kind. On my youtube video, a guy stated that a "*2019 Indian would run past a CVO like the Harley*was tied to a stump!" I don't*know about that one, but it got me wondering? Will it?* So I started to search and I haven't*found any good videos on youtube that compared the two. I'm not really concerned about top speed, just talking about 0 to 60 or 1/8 of a mile maybe 40 roll on to 80, etc. Do you know of any videos that show the results of a CVO Street Glide vs Indian 2019 Chieftan run?*Please share.*
Heres a link to the video below
He makes the statement starting at 4:15

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
It took me a lot to get my Roadmaster to hit 125mph with just changing cams a tuning. The new models have that and more in both HD and Indian. But to say HD would be like a stump is just plain wrong. And the 19's are so new that I don't know of any data to back up any claim. My gut feel would be stock for stock, Indian will probably pull away a little. But I've not test rode one either. I might get surprised but I doubt it.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
I'd think they are probably very closely matched unless the 2019s are different, my wife rides a 2016 111 Chieftain, stock I could outrun her with my stock 106 Vision, my Vision can outrun a stock (non CVO) Milwaukee 8 Road Glide. I suspect the CVO might take me or be darn good run, those new Harley's are not slow by any means.

The Indian can be woken up nicely, all you need is money :) Candy put on a full new true dual exhaust, intake, cams, and a tune and she can leave me behind now on the usual highway ramp drag race to 100 or so. I don't know how fast her Chieftain goes, she has had it up to 125 or so.

You want to lose a race to an Indian, race someone on a Scout, that little bike is the sleeper of the line, it looks like a beginner's bike but it packs 100 horsepower and it's much lighter than the big bikes too.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
This isn't a fair comparison because the CVO line of big Twin's in the HD line are basically not STOCK but contain lots of Harley' high performance parts, unlike the STOCK Indian you are asking about. The CVO's are also much more expensive than the Indian.****

**** The best CVO in their line is still seriously down on HP. Torque is exemplary. Acceleration and quarter mile times are pathetic for the MONEY. Passing times are very good for a big heavy bike but that's where the good torque comes in.

Sam:nerd:

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
To echo other comments here, they'll be pretty close. The guy that said it'll be like the HD is tied to a stump is being sensationalistic. I don't have the numbers, but the last review comparison that I read the Indian edged the HD by a slim margin. And that was with a SG Limited, not the slightly more powerful CVO model. It was certainly no blow out as your YouTube commenter suggests.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is kinda like two pigs arguing about which one is more piggy whilst wallowing in a mud hole.

It would seem such motorcycles are endearing for qualities other than being fast or speedy.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Who cares. They're not Aprillia RV4s, they're designed as cruiser/tourers with lots of torque so riders don't have to change gears so often.

Both HD and Indian have nice Torque for quick safe passing but neither are Racing Rides .. Just for the Record I own a HD Dyna & Indian Chieftain ..

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Going off topic for a moment, that 2019 Chieftain reminds me of a Victory. Is Polaris slowly merging the Indian's styling with the Victory look? Maybe they'll come out with a model called the "Vision Quest":cool:
Looks Far More like a Street Glide to me even identical tail lights and saddlebags ..

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Looks Far More like a Street Glide to me even identical tail lights and saddlebags ..
It sure does but I think they wanted to do that just to get a few more from Harley. If it looks like a Harley but runs like a Indian then the Harley diehards are winners. I'd rather have a Indian all the way.:grin:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
" I'd rather have a Indian all the way." Hog quote:grin:

Me too, as long as it isn't Elizabeth Warren, a 'Fake' Indian:surprise:

Sam:smile_big:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've a '15 road glide (103) and a '17 Chieftain limited (111), both stage 1 pipes breather factory flash. Wife on the Indian me on the Harley, similar skills but I've got 100lbs on her :) rolling start, after 5 miles wide open she has me by 7 or 8 bike lengths, hardly a blowout. We also have a '16 Indian Springfield, it fares a little better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts