Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
The bike didn't come with a key or the fuel tank? sometimes a different key for fuel happens. A locksmith can/should reproduce an ignition key which should open your gas tank, hopefully anyway. You could just get new locks for both the ignition and gas tank and drill out the gas cap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike didn't come with a key or the fuel tank? sometimes a different key for fuel happens. A locksmith can/should reproduce an ignition key which should open your gas tank, hopefully anyway. You could just get new locks for both the ignition and gas tank and drill out the gas cap.
No unfortunately it came without and I wasn’t told. So u think I could take the tank to a locksmith and he’d be able to create a key from it?

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
My 65 Honda 90 did not have a key. I removed the steering lock and ignition switch and took them to a locksmith.
He made a couple of new keys for me. My 79 Yamaha XS11 uses the same key for ignition and gas cap. My 83 XS400 uses a slightly different key for the gas cap, plus another one for the seat lock. UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,130 Posts
Are you sure it takes a real, actual key for the tank? The reason I ask my 1979 Kawasaki KZ650 fuel tank cap had a slot that looked like a lock but the end of any key or even a screwdriver would open it. It was just a latch.
You probably checked it out already so feel free to disregard this silly question... Lol

S F

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure it takes a real, actual key for the tank? The reason I ask my 1979 Kawasaki KZ650 fuel tank cap had a slot that looked like a lock but the end of any key or even a screwdriver would open it. It was just a latch.
You probably checked it out already so feel free to disregard this silly question... Lol

S F
I actually hadn’t checked that, I considered it briefly but not actually knowing anything about motorbikes I dismissed it. I’ll try today thank you :))

·
Short Fuse
422 Posts

S F
Good point.

The 'tank lock' looks like a simple plastic keyless lock. Maybe the OP should use a coin/screwdriver to see if it will open.

None of my 70's bikes had lockable fuel caps as OEM equipment.

·
Registered
333 Posts
if it had a key originally, Its just a simple tumble design, take it to a local locksmith, and they can pick the tumblers. once the get it open and can dissasemble it, they can make you a key to fit it...

·
Short Fuse
422 Posts
if it had a key originally, Its just a simple tumble design, take it to a local locksmith, and they can pick the tumblers. once the get it open and can dissasemble it, they can make you a key to fit it...
It didn't have a key. It's a simple plastic latch.

·
Visionary
5,063 Posts
I was just going to say the same thing, mine ( appears identical) will open with anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts