Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1974 Suzuki ts250l. I actually bought this bike new and have ridden it a lot over the years. It had been sitting up for about 5 or 6 years until a few days ago when I got it out and got it started. It only took some gas and about 5 kicks and it fired right up. I am cleaning it up and want to replace the rear brake shoes. I have had the rear wheel off numerous times over the years but this time I cannot get the axle out. I have loosened everything and the axle turns freely but it will not slide out. Is there anything special that I may have forgotten as far as freeing it up to get it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Hmm.. could it be rusted to the inner bearing race? Beating it with a hammer might damage it. Do you have access to a press? Could you pull the whole swingarm assembly and press the axle out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cmonstart, thanks for the advice but, no I don’t have access to a press. What about heating the axle and letting it cool a few times. Might that loosen it up? Just a thought.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
Block of wood and a rubber mallet?

·
Visionary
5,282 Posts
Hit it hard repeatedly with a heavy soft hammer while turning it.
Make sure you have all weight and pressure off the axle, belt/ chain loose, tire resting just slightly on the ground or in the air.

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
As above. Block of hard wood and a large hammer. Put the nut on, and run it flush with the end of the axle if possible, or as far on as it can go with enough room for the axle to move when you whack it. Back the nut off as it moves. Wot Cmon said about the axle rusted to the inner bearing race. It should break free with enough impact. A metal hammer with have more impact than a rubber mallet, but be sure to use a block of wood.

Let us no how it turns out.

UK

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Check for interference caused by misalignment in the swingarms, before you resort to force. Then if a block of wood and a dead blow mallet don't get it done, a wheel hub puller/axel press might work. It's a handy tool to have and don't cost much more than $20.

Edit: here's a video showing how to use it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some penetrating fluid may help like Kroil or PB Blaster. I use a hard plastic mallet or a hard chunk of plastic I found since wooden blocks are prone to split. Let the fluid set for awhile, then place the block on the shaft with the nut flush with the end to prevent thread damage and tap sharply. If it doesn't move, spray more kroil on both axle ends and let set overnight. You might consider cleaning or replacing bearings. Make sure you clean the shaft and and grease it before putting everything back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts