Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Ace Tuner
2,350 Posts
Me, getting a little old to rough it M/C camping.
But a few years back I did 3 weeks and over 3000 miles riding and camping on my Yam FZ1. Had a great time meandering thru the Rocky Mountains.
Every once in a while I'd use a motel to rest up and wash the few clothes I brought.

I had saddle bags, a tail bag and a tank bag.
My tent is SMALL. Just enough room for me, my boots, jacket and tank bag.

At most every rest stop folks would ask all about where I was from and where I was going next.
Funny, little old ladies seemed to be the most interested.

Harley riders frequently invited me to ride with them, it made for a great time and I made friends all along the way.
It was truly a trip of a lifetime. :biggrin:

Reactions: Gr33nNinja650r

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've gone the MC camper route and love it. King size bed, dry and I can go from riding into the campsite to being in my bed in less than five minutes. And best of all it only cost around 15-25 dollars a night.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
camping

as you see, I have the trailer. I carry a XL cot tent with me. forest green in color. so if i'm riding down some back roads and find a place, that looks good to sleep, and I can get my bike and trailer into without dropping it. I cover the bike with a tarp.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
I tow the Aspen Ambassador behind my Valkyrie; empty weight is about 500#, but it opens out with two twin beds, and has a 'basement' for storage while traveling. Most of our stuff (close to 200#) goes in the Harbor Freight pull-behind, on my friend's Boulevard C90T. We're taking them to the Iron Horse Lodge, near Deal's Gap, in a couple weeks.

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
I used to camp with just a two person pop up tent and a couple of good sleeping bags. Now-a-days these old bones just can't do it. It's ride for awhile and find a motel by 3:00pm calling it a day. Much more relaxing this way. Have the whole afternoon to look around at the sites and then find an nice place for a meal. Yep, it's a little more expensive but it's sure a lot easier.

Reactions: blulew

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
That's what we plan to do on the way to the Dragon; just too stressful finding a good campsite, setting up, and breaking down in the morning, to camp on the road. We're spending a week at the Iron Horse, so about $25 a night, versus maybe $80 or more.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Me, getting a little old to rough it M/C camping.
But a few years back I did 3 weeks and over 3000 miles riding and camping on my Yam FZ1. Had a great time meandering thru the Rocky Mountains.
Every once in a while I'd use a motel to rest up and wash the few clothes I brought.

I had saddle bags, a tail bag and a tank bag.
My tent is SMALL. Just enough room for me, my boots, jacket and tank bag.

It was truly a trip of a lifetime. :biggrin:
I hope to get a slightly larger cruiser and then take a trip like this some day, heading across country with my paints and sketchbook.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,785 Posts
When I rough it, I stay at a Holiday Inn Express......

·
Registered
809 Posts
My wife says "roughing it" is when the television isn't working right and there are no other rooms available... she will go car camping, though, as long as we're not in the middle of no where - ie. there are other tents or RVs nearby.

When I rough it, I stay at a Holiday Inn Express......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Our first trip in our new 40' Winnebago,, we were trailer'ing our bikes up from South Florida to Pennyrile KY, for the 2010 Little Sturgus. MC event. we made it to Macon Goergia. the first night. the wifes, looking through a magazine, and tells me, I found a motel we can stay in for the night, I pull a Very slow, roll of my head, and stare at her like she's out of her F**king MInd !!!!!. I yell at the to of my Voice, Then what the F**K did we buy this thing FOR !!!!!! sold it 3 years later. with 11K on it.

since then, we've taking separate vacation

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
My camper is 34 feet long and 10 feet wide. Has a diesel heater, two fridges, stove and a lot of other stuff to make life comfortable. We were out on Griffon the sail boat for 6 weeks, and off again this weekend.

Used to carry a tent when I was younger. Next long trip with the bike, like Bonneville, will be in the RV ( red van ) probably pulling a small trailer, with the small bike mounted somewhere.
Other wise I book a motel.

Unkle Krusty

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 64 and still camping, as long as it's not raining. If I pack up in the rain in the morning, and it's still raining at the end of the day I motel it that night and dry out the gear.

Attachments

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Yes, I cycle camp. This is actually my first year doing it. I pull a cargo trailer behind the Ultra. The more deserted and primitive the camp site, the more I like it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts