Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok going through all the parts i got with my 1974 CB360 project bike I have run into a blockage , there is no cam chain tensioner. This is my first bike build so i am going to ask a novice question, Is this a mandatory part if i am not building a stock bike? the bike has been stretched an extra 7 and half inches and being built to be a bobber so i am a loss as to if the tensioner is mandatory

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
wait, are you asking about the came chain in the engine? or the drive chain for the rear wheel?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wait, are you asking about the came chain in the engine? or the drive chain for the rear wheel?
Ya I caught my mistake I think, drive chain for the rear wheel is where I think parts are missing I'll try to get some photos up in the next few days

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I don't think there is a drive chain tensioner on these. It's hard to say on something that has been modified, but generally there is no need for one on most motorcycles.

If you are talking about the drive chain adjusters at the axle, it's a good idea to have these. They make it much easier to keep the chain at the correct tension and keep the rear axle straight in the frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
with out drive chain adjustment and not being a hard tail you could easily snap the chain if you had the wrong tension or ruin your sprokets

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Your drive chain is tension is adjusted at the rear axle. You will see alignment marks on each side. The chain needs to be adjusted so the alignment marks are equal on each side.
You loosen the axle. There are two adjusting bolts, one on each side. Turn them in until you get the proper tension on the chain, then make sure the marks are aligned. Torque your axle and you will be good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts