Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy, but I'm looking forward to weather cold enough to require my heavy riding jacket. I really enjoy layering up, and riding in cold weather. For me, if there is an "end of season", it is when the temperature gets in the upper 90's and above. :coffee:

·
American Legion Rider
20,037 Posts
I don't mind the cold but can do without the ice. But I continue riding even with 110º temps which fortunately hasn't happened too often this year. You probably have more humidity where you are than I do though. Humidity kills me. That's when I stop. 100º that has a heat index of 107º feels more like 120º to me. Humidity, yuck!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm with you there hogcowboy. I can take the heat just fine, it's when its humid it gets to me. Even riding a bike is no relief from the ickyness. I like riding in the evening hours, when it's cool enough for a jacket, but not so cold you are shivering to death.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The winters in Texas are not near as harsh as the northern states as you know. Anything below 20 F here is very unusual. I've had people ask me how cold it has to get before I quit riding, and my reply is, "I don't know, it hasn't gotten that cold yet". :) Since I've gotten older though, the heat really takes a toll on me. Maybe because I've had a near heat stroke once.

·
6,998 Posts
Heat sucks. Cold sucks.

I like it from 50 degrees to 90 degrees.

I have ridden out of necessity in everything from 20 to 120 degrees for long periods of time but I was miserable.

My new Goldwing and my past BMW K1200LT-c both have/ had heated seats and grips and an adjustable windscreen along with small foot heating vents that make a big difference in COLD weather.

If they put A/C on a bike I'll be the first one to buy one:)

Sam:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
wannaride....I am in Surprise, I love heading north in summer, but you have to come back to hell sooner or later. I just keep saying we have 9 months of great riding weather as my tires melt to the roadway.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I will call you crazy. Summer is short enough without wishing for winter! As I get older the summers seem to get shorter and shorter. I go to sleep one night with ice in my driveway, wake up to a nice day. Do a bit of riding and then there's ice in my driveway again! But then again, at least once each summer I complain about how hot it is.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I have more confidence in my heavier gear, in terms of a barrier between me and the pavement, and I miss it, in the warmer temps.

-Soupy

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Have I mentioned lately how much I HATE winter??? :D :D Cold makes me hurt. I'll take 70 to 95 any day over a high in the 50's.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
20F maximum sounds like year around riding weather to me. I stop riding when it gets below 15F because my bike just won't start. Maybe it will this year since I installed a K&P oil filter to take that cold oil load off the starter. I already have the gear to go lower in comfort. I also avoid riding on snow and ice because I ride a touring bike that just won't stay shiny side up on that stuff. In Illinois I have ridden several days in every month for over 5 years now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts