Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just spent one week in the Great Bear Rain Forest. It rains a lot. I needed light weight rain gear. I have heavy weight rain gear. For this trip I would be wearing the jacket, on the bus, on the train and on the plane. And then on a boat. It had to be easy to fold and stuff in my back pack. It also needed to be an animal friendly tan colour.

There was a lot of walking / hiking involved, so light rain pants were best for me. The lodge where we stayed supplied heavy rain gear, that I felt would be too heavy, and too hot.

I already had a rain jacket that would work, but it did not have a hood, and was not as easy to fold. I would have also need to take a rain hat with a brim.

So, off to the Cabela store I went. Found Gortex pants and jacket for about $215.00, plus a dry pack.
The rain gear was easy to wear, and easy to hike in. They packed easy into a small area when not is use. I also wear a water proof peeked hat, that holds the hood in place.
The jacket had one damp patch inside, at the front of my right shoulder, after a huge down pour. I will explore this issue some more. The pants showed no sign of leaking. Standing in the rain, will differ from riding in the rain. The pants may perform differently while riding.

At the moment I would say for light weight gear, the Cabela Gortex rain gear in satisfactory. I am not prepared to say it is great, until further testing.

Need to add. Shirley wore two jackets, and the heavy rain pants from the lodge.
One of the other guests wore a yellow jacket, although I do not know how good bear eyesight is.
He got chewed out by the guide, but I do not know if the jacket was a factor that upset her. In general he was an inconsiderate jerk.

UK

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It was kinda wet last week. Where did you go?
Check the first sentence in my post.
To make it easier, it is North West of Bella Coola, North East of Bella Bella and South of Prince Rupert. The main village is Klemtu.
See my post on whales. A Google search on Klemtu will find it.

Just checked your lost key thread. the ferry between Port Hardy and Prince Rupert, stops in Klemtu. That is where the Spirit Bear Lodge is. The ferry goes up the channel on the East side of a small Island, so you do not see the lodge from the ferry. Lots of dolphins, orca and humpback whales North of the lodge.

Guy on the Tswassen to Duke point ferry today, was riding his Harley to Port Hardy. In the rain. But it eased mid afternoon.

UK

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know a few people from Klemtu it must be one of the most remote communities in B.C.
did you see a Kermode.
I have seen one a few times on Princess Royal Island. It’s a spectacular area even in the rain.
You don’t realize just how much remote wild space there is until you fly over it.

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know a few people from Klemtu it must be one of the most remote communities in B.C.
did you see a Kermode.
I have seen one a few times on Princess Royal Island. It’s a spectacular area even in the rain.
You don’t realize just how much remote wild space there is until you fly over it.
The details are in my post: Thar be whales.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woz going to post a pic of the white bear here, but the pics are on the other computer. So you get a picture of Theodore instead.

I think Kermode is the name a white guy gave it. I prefer white bear, or Spirit Bear as the locals call it. Definitely remote. we will probably take our boat up there in 2021, on the way to Haida Gwai.

50 X 50 miles, and 300 people. Probably more bears.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
And these aren't Polar Bears or Polar Bear crossed bears?

·
Registered
90 Posts
No not a polar bear.
The Spirit Bear or Kermode is a Black Bear. It not an albino either. In this particular region approximately 1 in 10 of the Black bears are blond.,

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Interesting read on the Kermode bear, as well as other bears in this link.

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And these aren't Polar Bears or Polar Bear crossed bears?
They are white black bears. Genetic blow back thing. Like 2 brown eyed parents having a blue eyed child.
The white bears are 35% better at catching fish, mostly due to the fact the fish do not see them as well.
The difference in attitude and confidence of the white bear we saw, was startlingly obvious. The black bears used the logs across the creek, the white bear used the water route.

It is interesting that most folks, even in BC, do not know about the area. But this past week I have met two, and both bike riders.
Jmac here, and a Harley rider on the ferry on Monday. He lives in Port Hardy, which is top right of the big island.

UK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts